Strange ClownLoach Behaviour !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant R

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

Nothing to worry about here as my two ClownLoaches are probably the most thriving fish in my 45 gallon. A day or so ago though, I noticed some really weird, but funny behaviour, the Clowns were clearly enjoying.

I had not seen it before and I have kept loaches since I started an aquarium. Basically, they kept linking at the mouth, in a sort of kissing motion, then staying there in that position until one pulled away.

Whilst in this position, they would rotate around like some sort of mating / tribal ritual !

I'm sure it was nothing to worry over, but have any other Clown owners seen this ?!

G

In some instances, like my cichlids, that is a sign of dislike. They do this when they are fighting, butin the case of loaches could be you have, you have three right?, a breeding pair and the two males are fighting for dominance?

Not sure there?

Gareth,

I did have three including the two you passed on, but my other one caught whitespot almost immediately after getting the 45 and died. The two I'm talking about are the two you gave me.
It has stopped now, but made me laugh !!

Could be that they are just playing. But lip locking is a sign of aggression, are you getting them some more companions. I would suggest two more at least. My LFS has some beauties, +/-2".

How much do clown loaches of that size go for over there, Gareth? Since clown loaches are so gregarious, my first thought was that it is the start of a mating ritual too, however I'd guess that they would have to be 6 inches plus (NIT) before they would be reaching sexual maturity. I don't know for sure, though. Probably just playing... if you see no signs of injury (bite marks, missing barbels, etc), then I wouldn't worry too much, but keep an eye on them anyway. :)

Well I don't know if your Clown loaches are mating? Correct me if i'm wrong but I heard it is almost imposible for them to breed in captivity.
I know Clown loaches and YoYo loaches are very weird any I have ever had like playing dead.
I only have YoYos now but the Clowns we use to have always done this. and the YoYos do the same thing. I never seen them lip locked lol, but it doesn't suprize me at all with thier strange behaviours. :lol:
Chris.

I'm thinking of adding another two, but that would mean a full house in my aquarium then.
There is no sign of any injury at all, I have checked for all of that. My guess is just the unusual, sometimes odd behaviour.

G

Sorry for the late response ID,

But they would probably go for around the £7 mark. I did not actually ask I wouldn't beable to keep, not with my lot. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom