Strange cottony growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingMouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
1: goldfish that i have been treating for ich. Now is very still, and has a kid of cottony growth on almost his entire body that is coming off in flakes. Had a pretty sever bout of ich in my tank, all my fish were affected. Treating with petco herbal ich treatment and API melafix for some tail damage.
2: ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, chlorine, GH all zero. KH 100, PH 6.5
3: 10 gal tank, set up about a month.
4: Using a Aqueon whisper 10. 5: 7 goldfish ranging 1-3 inches (one is a fantail).
6: I was told to do a water change every 4 weeks, but cuz of the ich outbreak I have been changing ~30% every couple days for about 2 weeks. I just did a change and gravel vac today of about 50%.
7: newest fish was added 2 weeks ago and was the cause of the ich outbreak I believe. No new fish since. I lost him and 1 other to it.
8: changed dechlorinator from Aqueon water conditioner to API slime coat.
9: have been feeding small amt twice daily of wardley advanced nutrition.

A side note: the other fish keep trying to eat the stuff on him, does that mean anything?

Attachments

• image-2938650797.jpg
    image-2938650797.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2010410376.jpg
    image-2010410376.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 71
You need to use a water conditioner such as seachem prime. I've seen that before on a few betas that were put in just untreated tap water.

And you have way too many fish for that size of tank. Are you planning on upgrading to a larger tank? The minimum for a fan tail is at least twenty gallons because of the bio waste they produce. Your aqueous 10 doesn't have enough gallons per hour for any of those fish. I would suggest rehoming them or taking them back to your lfs and get something more suitable. The fish may look happy but in that tank you will get stunting and will run out of space as they grow fast.

Here a chart I googled to kinda give you a visual aid. The chart is from fishkeeping.uk.

Attachments

• image-2971938039.jpg
    image-2971938039.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 58
And you have way too many fish for that size of tank. Are you planning on upgrading to a larger tank? The minimum for a fan tail is at least twenty gallons because of the bio waste they produce. Your aqueous 10 doesn't have enough gallons per hour for any of those fish. I would suggest rehoming them or taking them back to your lfs and get something more suitable. The fish may look happy but in that tank you will get stunting and will run out of space as they grow fast.

Here a chart I googled to kinda give you a visual aid. The chart is from fishkeeping.uk.

What kind of filter would you recommend? And I'm giving half to my sister once she gets her tank set up.

You need to use a water conditioner such as seachem prime. I've seen that before on a few betas that were put in just untreated tap water.

And I have been treating the water, API stress coat is water conditioner+ stuff for stress. I also didn't change it until today, and this has been present for two.

Even if you were to give half to your sister you would need to run something at least like an aqua clear 70 or fluval C3. But like I said even for 3 goldfish your tank will only hurt them in the long run

Even if you were to give half to your sister you would need to run something at least like an aqua clear 70 or fluval C3. But like I said even for 3 goldfish your tank will only hurt them in the long run

Okay I will keep that in mind. Hopefully I will be in a position to get a bigger tank soon, this is my first tank and I don't have the space for a bigger one at the moment.

Are you using strips to test your water? If so, these are very unreliable and I am very suspect of your results. With this many fish in such a tiny tank, your ammonia would be sky high unless you are changing 100% of the water every few hours. It doesn't matter what type of filter you add here- unfortunately, 10g is too small for even a single goldfish. I suspect water quality is the primary issue behind your fishes issues- a much larger tank or returning/rehoming fish really are your only options here. Here's more info on goldfish and their care- please ask of you have questions!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Are you using strips to test your water? If so, these are very unreliable and I am very suspect of your results. With this many fish in such a tiny tank, your ammonia would be sky high unless you are changing 100% of the water every few hours. It doesn't matter what type of filter you add here- unfortunately, 10g is too small for even a single goldfish. I suspect water quality is the primary issue behind your fishes issues- a much larger tank or returning/rehoming fish really are your only options here. Here's more info on goldfish and their care- please ask of you have questions!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Are there any fish you would recommend for a first timer with only the space for this size of tank?

Celestial pearl danios, chili rasboras, ember tetras, Pygmy corydoras, killifish, mostly nano fish

For those fish I believe not they are nano species but quite fascinating at the same time. If you have those and either fake or live plants for them to hide in and swim through your tank will look good

I have fake plants right now, are live plants better? I keep losing fish, so if I can't save the ones left I will prolly clean everything thoroughly and start all over.....suggestions for that?

Back
Top Bottom