Strange deaths?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autopsywoman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a 55 gallong tank that cycled and has had perfect parameters (0 nitrites, 0 ammonias, 5 nitrates, 7.0-7.2 ph) for the past two weeks. We have two bubble wand aerators, a Rena XP3 filter with a special tubing system that inputs extra water drops over the top, and a small current tube in the middle of the tank. We have some live plants on one side and just added some fake plants on the other (after cleaning them in extremely hot water).

We had 8 tetras, 2 small clowns, 2 1.5 in. yo-yo botias, a 2 in. queen botia, 2 1.5 inch Kuhlis, 2 1 in. Raphael catfish, and a plec that is about 5 inches now. We have been feeding them once a day with bloodworms, tubifex worms, flakes, or frozen brine shrimp alternately or in varying combinations. We feed sinking pellets and algae to the plecs and loaches. We hang some lettuce on the side until it's gone or after a day or two. Sometimes we put cucumbers in and remove them after a day or two.

Yesterday we found one of our small clowns dead with no explanation. We thought maybe the queen botia had killed him because she has been extremely aggressive lately (we thought maybe she was pregnant?). A water test revealed still perfect readings. The only thing we had changed recently (within the last couple of days) was turning off the bubble wands during the day because we read that would help the plants get more Co2. The fish seemed fine up until yesterday with the 1st dead clown.

Last night we replaced the dead clown with 2 medium clowns, and segregated queenie into a fry net overnight to observe. One clown seemed sluggish before we even got him home so we weren't too surprised to find him dead this morning. We took him back and exchanged him. Now, the fish all seem to be acting weird. The small clown that is still alive has been listing and acting like he's dying. The tetras have been hanging out at the top of the tank like they need more O2.

I turned the bubbles back on, added some stress coat, salt, and conditioner to remove heavy metals just to be safe. The tetras are acting a little more normal now but the Botias are acting listless and the small clown isn't improving. We released queenie and she was fine for a bit, but now is swimming around like there is something after her, and the plec acted like he was going to jump out of the tank. One of the tetras was shaking vigorously while swimming. I have checked for white spots (ich) and no fish has any. The closest thing I could see was the new clown we got last night appears to have a bit of a pale head area compared to the other new one we just got today (to replace the one that died). But it isn't spots and none of the other fish have it.

I cannot figure out what is going on in there. The chemical readings are still perfect! We raised the temp to get it up from 79 back to 80 (it dropped a degree last night). Otherwise everything is the same as before.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

I don't know for sure what happened but please don't be turning the air off for the fish.
The fish produce CO2 themselfs. I have no problem growing plants in any of my tanks and yours being only partially planted shouldn't need any extra CO2.
But the fish really need the O2.

We didn't turn it off completely, only for an 8 hour period per 24 hour day. And the tank wasn't completely without O2 as the filter was still pumping the current and dropping water in through our "waterfall" system, it just doesn't produce as much O2 as the aerators do. But that was the only thing I could think of that might be causing the weird behavior. The fish are still alive although they are still hanging out near the surface but the pumps have been on all day now so I don't know if that was the problem anymore. Now I guess I need to look for some kind of contaminate - an oil slick or something that might be interfering with the oxygen intake on the surface... Hopefully the fish will still be alive in the morning. The Gourami and the Botias and Pleco ate, but the Tetras ignored their food this evening which is totally unlike them...

Back
Top Bottom