Strange dot on Syno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, something must be going on that is a good thing - NFP told me to dose 1/8 per ten gallons, not 1/4, so I did what they said (I know a lot of fish medical companies underdose, but I really don't want to fool with this stuff).

So this is day 2, tomorrow is day 3. He had a white powdery looking spot on him and it's totally gone. I wasn't sure if it was a scratch or an odd parasite. From what I can see there is not as many holes, but it's dark in there and he is cunning - he knows how to avoid light. :p

He's also having a field day because the tank is covered.. it's always dark. :lol: At least I know he isn't reacting to the meds!

It will be kept in for 5-7 days, so I will assess once it's done.
Really just posting this in case someone else has an issue. I hope it will help someone else.

I could see him recovering from this either way, since his diet is now even better than it was (VitaChem has been added and Thera+A) and I've nuked the possibility of any parasites with Crypto. I already know it is not water quality or stress. It's either diet or parasites.

well, just checked after 2 days not looking, didn't work. still has the holes.

tomorrow is day 5.

suggestions welcome.. this sucks

considering trying medicated food (with metro+) with Kanamycin or Furan 2 in the water. Really have nothing to lose at this point and I've heard they can be used together. help appreciated. Thinking Furan 2 is the way to go since his poop isn't white and he's acting normal. I just don't think it's internal.

Other than that, I really don't have any other tricks to pull out of my hat. I'll rest him for a day but then I'm steaming on to the Furan 2. Maybe it's bacterial. Maybe it's magic. Maybe it's caused by genies. I am losing it here.

So was able to get within mere millimeters of these things on him. It's not parasites.

They look like little tufts of... off white blobs. Maybe it's fungal?
One of them - the biggest one - looked a bit like dust. Like when you find little dust particles.

Don't think I'm doing metro... hmm.

I think I might do Tetra Fungus Guard, because it has Nitro in it, and I can take care of anything fungal.. He's already had metro in water, metro in food, and chloroquine sulfate. I honestly don't know how it couldn't be dead by now...

Maybe he had HITH but it developed into a secondary fungus?

He DID have a fungus, and I treated with Kana and it left, which is why I don't understand why these would still be here.. But then again it makes sense because where that fungus was left a mild indentation.. it just wouldn't explain the hardened-over scab-like pit..

sorry again for the post.. Figured something else out. The tank he was in before my 90 was old. It probably had algae. In fact from what I can remember that tank was rather gross in the cleaning department but never had high ammonia.

This tank is new, and doesn't have algae. That tank ran ~10-15 years.

I just ordered actual algae food, and will be getting better algae pellets tomorrow. They do need algae in their diet and according to PlanetCatfish algae can help heal HLLE.. which is very similar to HITH.

I'll still do the fungus, but I should do this anyway, because I have been struggling with veggie matter for my fish anyway.

Maybe it's algae.

Wish me luck.

Hi, ok - reading back through and it's just something I've never seen or heard of if anyone else may know.

Kanaplax is strictly an anti-biotic so this would say bacterial infection when the infection went away after treatment.

Dose the fungus guard and kanaplax (medicated feed if possible).

It's really just bizarre. Looks like a fungus acts like a bacterial. Resembles a parasite doesn't respond to treatment.

It's just what.

I don't get it.

Weird - did you dose the full treatment time for the quinine? Looked like was 7 days?

Also wondered if holes had started to heal at all.

I went back and found a photo of a bn catfish with fungus in case useful. Not the clearest example but it was like a sheet of white fluff. Not like the smooth pimples I've seen for bacterial.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424786400.862005.jpg

Not getting worse but not getting better. They said five to seven days. Today is day 5. Should I take it out today?

I'd go the 7 days as long as not getting worse, then you know for sure the treatment is finished in case it was actually doing something.

Just got veggies for him in both human and wafer form. Ordered an algae food too. I think the diet is staving off whatever this is. It can only get better from here.

The diet is incredibly high in vitamin C.

Trying to be optimistic! Truthfully he has felt better than I have through all this. His appetite and liveliness hasn't taken a hit at all. Probably taking out the crypto tomorrow.. not sure if I see more pimples on him.

decided - jlk informed me to try metro again. Taking the Crypto out tomorrow. I think NFP underdosed me.

I'll have metro+ tomorrow, much better than API General Cure. If after 3 days it does not get better the bottle says to reconsider but I will obviously go the full treatment. It does not get better I can do kana. I'm just getting worried not seeing it get better.

I'll do medicated metro+ food for 5-7 days.

Caliban had a case of hith and saw improvement within 3. I should know if I need to switch or double up and if it's not working.

Or do you think I should double up? Do you think I should do the kana first or go this route?

Back
Top Bottom