Strange illness? In need of immediate help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've lost two fish today soon to be a third. All three before they died started to swim all crazy. They would swim super faster sometime upside down and then they would sink to the biotin on their sides. What's going on I have other fish are not acting this way. My parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .5 a little high but I think the reason is dead fish I've done 3 water changes today.
What's going on?
Are my other fish at risk?

I'm so sorry for your losses. What kind of fish?

Sounds like something happened to your bio filter but what, I have no clue without more information. What was your nitrite reading before the water changes? If it was .5 after could your fish have died of nitrite poisoning?

They were german rams. Which are the most sensitive. I didn't test my water until I noticed a dead fish. Idk how long it was in the tank.

All I can recommend is to get those nitrites down with with water changes. Keep a close watch on that tank and stay on top of the parameters, including the temp. If you have seeded filter material, you could add that to give your bio filter a boost to get though this mini cycle faster.

I did 3 water changes today. I also have two filters running on this tank. One was from a 3 month old tank. What if my city water has nitrites in it. Would WCs be making it worse?

I did 3 water changes today. I also have two filters running on this tank. One was from a 3 month old tank. What if my city water has nitrites in it. Would WCs be making it worse?

Test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate then you will know for sure. I used to have 1 ppm ammonia and 5-10 ppm nitrates straight out of the tap a few years back. A conditioned filter should take of any nitrites you have in the tank.

Your Tank

Hello el...

Tank problems are water related. It's that simple. If you keep the tank water pure by changing at least half every week or two depending on the size of the tank, your fish will stay healthy. Small water changes leave a high level of toxins in the water that can stress the fish. A fish under stress is open for infection from parasites that live in most tanks. Healthy fish in pure water conditions are rarely if ever infected.

B

I usually do a 35%+ WCs every Friday. I sometimes will do an extra water change each week.

Back
Top Bottom