Strange Nerite behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I have had three Zebra nerite snails in my tank for about three months now who are typically very active. In the last few days the largest one hasn't moved more than 2-3 inches in any direction. The most activity I've seen out of him was yesterday evening when one of the other snails happened to sneak by him. He quickly attached himself to the back of the other snail (Weird!) and hitched a ride half way up the tank before I took pity on the smaller snail and gently seperated them. Now this evening he is sitting there in the substrate with his trapdoor closed. Something I should be concerned about..or completely normal? Both of my other snails are behaving normally!

Smell him, if he smells bad then hes dead if not than he is alive. He could have been trying to mate with the other snail and is now sad he didnt get the chance lol

LOL! I've never seen them piggyback like that before and the snail doing the carrying is quite a bit smaller than the snail in question is. I actually did pick him up no more than about five minutes ago and he smelled fine. I occasionally put a weekend feeder in the tank...they can be messy but my snails love to snack on the calcium in them. I pulled one out a minute ago and dropped it into the tank beside him..maybe I can coerce him into coming out to play. I'll keep you updated!

Back
Top Bottom