Strange thing coming out of bloodfin tetras mouth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pictures really aren't showing whatever you're referring to.

If the mouth is red, mishappen or has growths, it's likely mouth rot. It's a bacterial infection. It's highly infectious and often fatal. Do some research on it to determine if that's what you're looking at.

It looks like something is sticking out of his mouth

At first he was isolating himself from the other bloodfins, I thought he was stressed from being recently added. But what confused me is now after feeding he's swimming around acting normal

He's not acting sick or anything and is eating

Can't tell from pic. Check anchor worm, flukes, watch the vent and gills and see if there are further sightings.

You can look up images of external parasites. See if you find a match. Sometimes there is a life cycle where it develops and drops off.

Can't tell from pic. Check anchor worm, flukes, watch the vent and gills and see if there are further sightings.

You can look up images of external parasites. See if you find a match. Sometimes there is a life cycle where it develops and drops off.
Here's a better pic look at his bottem jaw20180907_223505.jpg

Looks like a growth under his bottom lip??? I've had this problem with older tetra. Several in fact. The fish never gets sick...just a tumor like growth. I still have never figured out what it was.

Interesting, I can't put my finger on what it is either

Looks like a growth under his bottom lip??? I've had this problem with older tetra. Several in fact. The fish never gets sick...just a tumor like growth. I still have never figured out what it was.
Did they survive?

Ya. They just looked hedeous. At the time I was first dealing with it I tried to research why this was popping up in tetra. I could never find a solid answer. The best I could tell was it seemed to be common in tetra and somewhat unexplainable. Maybe bad breeding practices?? At one point I actually contemplated cutting it off when I had a fish who's growth was impairing him from eating.... blocking his mouth. And it wasn't mouth rot which a lot of people think it is. More like a tumor is the only way I can describe it.

*URGENT* The bump has now turned white and resembles a pimple

You never mentioned the water parameters.

Have you done any water changes, are you familiar with the nitrification cycle and is your tank cycled, have you rinsed the media in untreated water. All stresses can make fish more weak against fighting off stuff.

What size is the tank? How many fish and what kinds of fish. Details which can help members help you?

Excellent water conditions can aid the fish in fighting off bad things.

Also you never mentioned if you looked up any of the parasites /things I listed previously.

I really cant check parameters because i clumsily broke all my test tubes. All i have are the ammonia aletrs and ph alerts (ph is 7.4 and ammonia is safe). Yes yes yes and no. I have a 20g high with a dwarf gourami, 4 bronze cories, 1 albino cory, 4 ghost shrimp, 4 nerite snails, and 6 bloodfin tetras. I have looked up diseases and can't exactly put my finger on what he has.

You don't need the test tubes, assuming you have the chemicals. It's not ideal, but you can test using about 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of water in any non porous container that you can stir in the chemicals with.

You can also bring a sample to your LFS for testing.

Thanks for that, Fisher! It's good to know there are additional tubes out there. It'll make testing numerous tanks at once easier.

Thanks guys I'll look for something small and capable to use for the mean time and if I can't find anything I'll take the water to my local lfs

The growth either went away or popped either way should I immediately change the water

Back
Top Bottom