Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2004, 02:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

stressed betta?

I read somewhere that a betta's fins srunch up when he is stressed. I recently re arranged plants in my betta tank and added a few more and he seems less active. His back fin always looks folded up, but maybe that is just how it goes when hes floating still; once he moves it unfolds somewhat. Am I over reacting, or could he be stressed? It just seems that everyone's picture of their betta has a pretty fanned out tail (besides the pictures where the betta is agressive)

If he is stressed, what can I do to help it?

(Sorry for asking so many questions, I just fuss too much about things )

His fins are usually scruntched up like this little guy's:

Old 05-18-2004, 03:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Well, we can never fuss over our fish too much! My husband knows better than to interrupt me when I'm talking to my fish, LOL!

Clamped, scrunched fins do usually mean stress. The pics don't really look like what I would call clamped fins. I had a betta once that his tail hung straight down, and his top fin draped over his side. The top fin on your fish looks like it's in the right position. The tail doesn't look clamped either. Different bettas do have differently-shaped fins. One betta could have full and flowing fins, and another one could have smaller fins, and they could both be fine.

It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your betta to be sure. He may just be getting used to the tank changes that you made, and he'll be himself very soon. Is he still active and eating? If so, I'll bet he's fine!

Old 05-18-2004, 03:14 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I looked in your gallery. Is "Unfaithful" the betta you're asking about? He looks fine in that pic, and the decorations are very nice. Is he in a bowl? Just make sure you have the bowl in a spot where the temperature doesn't fluctuate, because fluctuating temps can cause stress. Also, to make sure the ammonia levels don't rise in a small volume of water like that, you may want to get an ammonia test kit, and do a water change (50%) about every 3 days.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:45 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
There are a couple here who clamp the caudal right after tank change.......
most have no complaint.
Unless he swims stiffly and seems to never open it, I'd not sweat it.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks guys, hes looking a little better today and he seeems to be swimming around more. Still, I'll be sure to keep an eye on him.

Tags
betta, stress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com