stressed-out betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male betta which has always been really peaceful. He was in my 30 gal for a couple months. The only time I ever saw him flare was when I added 6 swords, but he never actually chased them around, and by the next day he was fine and I never saw him flare again.

The swords started attacking my mystery snail constantly, so I moved the snail out to a 5.5 gal a week ago. I jump-started the filter for the 5.5 gal by running it on the 30 gal for a week, and the water parameters are pretty good in the 5.5. The betta never nipped at the snail, so I moved him over to the 5.5 as well. So now I have a 5.5 with just a mystery snail and a betta (I ordered a bunch of dwarf sag that I'm going to be putting in there next week).

Anyway, the betta had always been just fine in my marginally overstocked 30 gal. He got along with everyone. He had his own little spot under some driftwood. Sometimes he would just go sit in with the plants. He would always come up for feeding time, eating flake food and bloodworms and betta pellets. He seemed really normal and happy, except for the fact that the current was a bit much for him at the top when he was trying to eat (my 30 gal. has a Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel). So, when I moved him to the 5.5 gal I thought he would be happier -- it has an AquaClear 20 on it, and I even turned down the flow a little bit.

So I put the betta in the 5.5 yesterday and he's just been sitting there. He lost a lot of color -- he looks REALLY pale and sick. He just bobs around now and then. I gave him some betta pellets and he ignored them. I gave him some freeze-dried bloodworms and he ate a few. He used to sit around plenty, but now he just looks bad when he's sitting around.

I think maybe the water current was too low -- there was actually a little bit of a film on top of the water. I turned it up to max (which still isn't much current on an AquaClear). He seems to be a little more active.

I think he might be getting better. He'll probably like it when the tank has plants and isn't all empty. Is there anything I can do to help him get his color back?

I've tested my water and the parameters are good (although I just did a 60% PWC anyway).

It might just be from the change of tanks - the stress from moving and going from a 30 gallon with lots of room to a 5.5 with not as much room.

What are the perameters of the two tanks?

They're both almost perfectly zero on everything but nitrate, which is around 5 - 10 ppm.

He's still really pale and kind of floating around. Now he's not eating. I put bloodworms in there and the snail ate them all.

I put him back in the main tank. He still seems to just be lying around, and my gourami (who never bothered him before) nipped at him a couple times and he didn't even move.

08-24-06_2033_betta_2.jpg

This is him looking all pale in the 5.5 gal.

08-24-06_2032_betta_1.jpg

This is him just sort of bobbing around with his face on the bottom in the 5.5 gal.

08-25-06_1329_betta_3.jpg

This is him back in the 30 gal. He used to lay on the bottom a lot, but never tipped over sideways like that.

This pictures didn't come out very well, but you can sort of tell that his whole body is very white, especially the back half.

When he tries to swim he has a lot of trouble, not really staying upright and twitching a bit. It's upsetting to watch. It can't be my water conditions, because I have much more sensitive fish (ottos, panda corys, rasboras) which are doing great.

He died. :(

He had a bit of a lump behind his gills sort of in his lower middle. I think he may have been constipated.

Being an idiot, when he turned pale I stuck him in the 5.5 gal and kept trying to get him to eat the bloodworms he liked so much. I was looking at him thinking he was all pale and skinny, but he was probably supposed to be skinny and the non-skinny part was the problem.

It's possible but definatley not a certainty, but at least it was relatively quick.

Don't blame yourself. You did what you could.

Back
Top Bottom