Stubborn Fin Melt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. We must question, is the potential stress to the fish worth it?
And I agree, that's a while to be out of water :(

I have PM'd some more experienced people that I know so I can hear their opinions as well, before I try anything. I don't think there is anything more I can do for Reagan at this point, as much as I hate to say that, but if it can help Calvin and Quincy, I think it's definitely worth a try. If I don't try it, the bacteria is just going to slowly eat away at their fins until it reaches their bodies and kills them. They are healthy, young bettas, so I think I need to try everything I can to keep them that way.

I just wish there was something I could do to get Reagan off of his side. He swims around and everything but he always goes back to floating on his side and I don't understand why. He keeps making me think he has died but then he swims off when I get close to the tank. :ermm:

Keep me posted. I'm thinking of you and your sweet fish.

Can you get or do you have a floating log? That would keep Reagan closer to the surface. I'm not sure if it would help the laying on his side though.

I'm pretty sure my boy has passed. I'm so sad :(

He's not having any trouble getting to the surface. He floats whenever he's not swimming or tucking himself under a plant or his driftwood. But I do have one that he could use.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I have PM'd some more experienced people that I know so I can hear their opinions as well, before I try anything. I don't think there is anything more I can do for Reagan at this point, as much as I hate to say that, but if it can help Calvin and Quincy, I think it's definitely worth a try. If I don't try it, the bacteria is just going to slowly eat away at their fins until it reaches their bodies and kills them. They are healthy, young bettas, so I think I need to try everything I can to keep them that way.

I just wish there was something I could do to get Reagan off of his side. He swims around and everything but he always goes back to floating on his side and I don't understand why. He keeps making me think he has died but then he swims off when I get close to the tank. :ermm:

What did you hear back? Was potassium permanganate suggested as an alternative?

I asked what his opinion was on using hydrogen peroxide to treat fin melt (he knows about my bettas), and he said:
"It's the same as MB or permanganate you just can't tell what's happened because it's clear. I have gallons of it I use for other stuff, but it's a lousy med in general and no I don't think it's worth messing with. If it were, I'd be recommending it. MB is a standard med that's been used forever, it's given as a first line treatment for external problems in every good disease book I have. Permanganate is hard to control and can easily be overdosed, wrecking the fish's gills. Malachite Green and Formalin are also used as dips for fungus and parasites respectively and will kill bacteria just like MB, but are riskier."

He also said the person that suggested the peroxide wasn't really reliable, so I'm glad I double checked with him.

MB is Methylene Blue, which I've already tried. For clarification, I asked if he meant that if Methylene Blue didn't work, the peroxide wasn't going to work, and he said it most likely wouldn't.

So I am back to not being sure what to do next. :(

He's not having any trouble getting to the surface. He floats whenever he's not swimming or tucking himself under a plant or his driftwood. But I do have one that he could use.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I'm glad he's not having trouble :)

I'm sure he'd love that.

Thank you :). I miss him.

I asked what his opinion was on using hydrogen peroxide to treat fin melt (he knows about my bettas), and he said:
"It's the same as MB or permanganate you just can't tell what's happened because it's clear. I have gallons of it I use for other stuff, but it's a lousy med in general and no I don't think it's worth messing with. If it were, I'd be recommending it. MB is a standard med that's been used forever, it's given as a first line treatment for external problems in every good disease book I have. Permanganate is hard to control and can easily be overdosed, wrecking the fish's gills. Malachite Green and Formalin are also used as dips for fungus and parasites respectively and will kill bacteria just like MB, but are riskier."

He also said the person that suggested the peroxide wasn't really reliable, so I'm glad I double checked with him.

MB is Methylene Blue, which I've already tried. For clarification, I asked if he meant that if Methylene Blue didn't work, the peroxide wasn't going to work, and he said it most likely wouldn't.

So I am back to not being sure what to do next. :(

Thanks for the reply back. From memory I've only heard of h2o2 being used in a post once. From general reading I would of gone for PP before h2o2 but couldn't comment further.

Back
Top Bottom