Stubborn Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This has been going on for a while. Probably a month or two. Picky has fin rot on his tail fin it looked like it had started into a secondary infection. I treated with Kanaplex. That seemed to fix the fuzz. Now he has 2 holes in his tail fin that seem to be getting bigger. He is also starting to rest on the bottom of the tank.

I recently finished a Maracyn and Maracyn II combo treatment since it wasn't going away and I upped the salt to 1 tsp per gallon a week ago. The medication is done but the salt is still up.

I am planning on upping the salt to 2 tsp per gallon to see if that helps along with daily water changes but if anyone has any sage advice I am open to suggestions :)

Tank is 5 gallon filtered with a Palm Azoo Filter
Temp is 79 degrees
Ammonia and Nitrite is 0
Ph is 7.6
Nitrates are between 0-5

Thanks!

Your ph is on the higher side for maracyn2 to be fully effective. Are the holes clean through the fins? If so, you really need to do another round (or two) of antibiotics. If these ulcers are not stopped soon, they will result in a total loss of the fin. Either another round of kanamycin or kana/furan combo (7-10 days) or you can try Maracyn Plus. I wouldnt up the salt any further at this point- just maintain what you have. You can also add stress coat+ or Kordons fish protector to help with slime coat. I am really sorry your having such a hard time with your fish!

My mistake the pH is 7.4. I knew the Maracyn II was questionable but didn't want to use pH down wasn't sure which to do so I tried anyway.

The holes are clear through to the fin. I am using stress coat will keep the salt the same and start some kanaplex/furan2.

Is it possible the heater is burning the fins? I attached pics so you could see. I know he doesn't feel well because he is always resting on the bottom of his tank :(

and the ammonia is .25 now (12 hrs after last water change) so the last round of meds might have killed my beneficial bacteria.

A side question. How do you do daily water change with Kanaplex being dosed every other day? Is there a way possible?

Attachments

• image-1272973346.jpg
    image-1272973346.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2208390619.jpg
    image-2208390619.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2516379468.jpg
    image-2516379468.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 87
I honestly dont know if he could be burning himself or not. For treating with water changes, theres two routes to go. One, wc dose meds then add a dose of prime at 24hr mark if toxins are below 1ppm. 48hrs, wc & redose. Two, wc dose meds, big wc at 24hrs & redose. You should be able to get by with wcs at 48hr mark with dose of prime in between because I dont see a single betta causing a huge spike in toxins even though I suspect your bb took a hit with the last med course. Good luck!!

The prime sounds good I had forgotten about adding it to help with ammonia buildup. I haven't seen it go past .25 but that is high enough for me to stress with his fins.

Thanks! Meds started. I don't want to lose my little desk buddy. :(

Fingers crossed!!!!

ACK! It is worse this morning. The holes came through at his tail and his tail fin is hanging off at the top :( Is there ANYTHING else I can do?

I'm going to move him to a warmer area to try to eliminate the possibility of heater burn.

Thats not good. You can try adding a methylene blue bath or dip once a day to your regimen but make sure the water for this has the same salinity as his tank. Other than this, all you can do is hope the meds catch the infection before it progresses further. Im keeping my fingers crossed!!

Bummer. :(

I don't have to use his medicated water for the methelyne blue do I? I can use water with the same temp and salinity?

You dont have to use the med tank water- just match temp/salinity. You can use it though if you want but Im guessing its a smaller tank and removing 1+g of water from the tank would make a big difference. You would then need to figure out the dose of meds to add back to the gallon+ you removed in order to replace it in the tank. Whatever is easier for you!

We are on dose 3 of Furan and Second Dose of Kanaplex. Not sure if there is improvement. He is staying at the bottom in his cave. The damaged parts of his tail fin have dropped off

He is hiding his cave and seems lethargic and depressed. LOL still eating though!

Back
Top Bottom