Stuck, help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Staceymarie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I decided to get my children a tank (i mean me, because they're little) so that they could enjoy a fish tank for the first time.

We have a 10 gallon that has a heater set to 78F, and a 10/20 power filter. I do 25% water changes at least once a week, treating any new water with API stresscoat plus to remove chlorine. We've had this tank up and running for about 2 months now and have had fish stocked for a little over a month.
My fish are showing signs of ich.

Fish in the tank include,
4 very small porkchop rasbora
1 Long fin Lemon drop
4 platys
2 male guppies
1 African dwarf frog
1 Neon

I feel i have overcrowded my tank, so i make sure to test the water frequently and keep up on my water changes, and monitor the fish
Ammonia and nitrates are 0
My ph level is 7.6
(As of 1/25)

On 1/26 one of my guppies was acting odd and at the bottom of the tank, looking closer it had just a couple crystals which looked like ich.
Im a beginner, so not knowing what to do reached out to a reputable fish store for help. They recommended Coppersafe since its fine for my frog and my plants (so they say). I treated the tank that day.
My guppy now is absolutely covered, which i understand gets worse before better, but also now is looking like hes got fin rot.
He is the only one showing any signs of ich so far.

My real question(s) is:
Is there something i should do differently in conjunction with the Coppersafe, and is there a way to treat the tank for fin rot also?
I was told not to do water changes from the pet store when treating with Coppersafe, but since my carbon was newer than 6 days old i took it out. They say its fine, but it cant be.

Im such a noob, and feel awful that my fish is sick.

Any guidance is truly appreciated!

Few things....yes way over stocked/inappropriate stock. Nitrates at 0 with that stock is a little puzzling. You have hard and soft species mixed at 7.6. I know nothing about adf. But in a tank this small you could raise temp and treat maybe not with adf idk? You have research that. Fin rot is best treated imo with pristine water which were pretty sure yours is not right now. So lots lots of wc.

Few things....yes way over stocked/inappropriate stock. Nitrates at 0 with that stock is a little puzzling. You have hard and soft species mixed at 7.6. I know nothing about adf. But in a tank this small you could raise temp and treat maybe not with adf idk? You have research that. Fin rot is best treated imo with pristine water which were pretty sure yours is not right now. So lots lots of wc.

Flchamp has it right. Water changes are your friend. When in doubt clean water first. Then go from there. Check out jungle treatment tabs. Can find them at Walmart even. It will turn your water blue tinted but it's fine. Use the tabs for about a week. May want to upgrade the tank or just have another tank. Also another word of advice before buying a new fish follow a golden rule. Look at all the tanks they have wherever you buy. If there's more than a couple ones that are dead in the tank it's probably best to get them somewhere else. I made a rule to never buy fish from Walmart for instance, and they had an amazing deal on some fish once so against better judgment I caved. Within days my whole tank had ich. Make sure you're not over feeding. Which like champ said. Water quality is huge

I could see that, i wish i would have done more research before going in to look at fish.
Whats frustrating is that they knew how big my tank was and i did the big no no and bought all my fish at the same time. Youd think they would have told me, i was asking a bunch of questions and asked if that was too many and they said id be fine.
I know for next time at least =/

I did a water change, and turning my heat up slowly to see if it improves, thanks for the reply!

Do you think i could use the tablets with the coppersafe? I took out about 40% of my water and put new in and added more coppersafrle to it per the instructions.
I was going to try to put my tempature up to 82 which seems to be a an okay max temp for everybody to try to get this ick under control

Ill have to go look for another tank for at least some of the fish.

Do you think i could use the tablets with the coppersafe? I took out about 40% of my water and put new in and added more coppersafrle to it per the instructions.
I was going to try to put my tempature up to 82 which seems to be a an okay max temp for everybody to try to get this ick under control

Look on Craigslist or even ask friends or family if they have an empty tank laying around. I wouldn't mix the two. And I agree with champ as well the less Chem in your water the better but if your fish are really taking a beating and need immediate help the tabs work pretty well. Definitely saved 2 of my fish that were soon to be goners. Now they're recovering very well.

If only one guppy is showing symptoms, you may want to isolate him on his own for a while to (try) and prevent everything from spreading to your other fish. if you're looking for cheap/fast a 1 gallon jug of water with a bubbler to keep the oxygen up should be able to keep him alive in the short term while you treat him

Back
Top Bottom