stumped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Booby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wonder if I can get a little advise?
I have a 227 litre tank. I have 3 fantail fish and 8 small minow type fish. I did have 3 golden loaches that were around 2 years old. I've never had any issue until recently all 3 loaches got dropsy and unfortunately none survived. Obviously I cleaned the tank and have kept my eye on the other fish. 2 of my fantails have red streaks in their tails. At first I thought this was amonia poisening so I did regular water changes. I've tested as all my levels
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate under 20
My waters is fine although my fish aren't getting better. Could there be another explination?

Hi, how are they going? Bacterial infection is possible (septicemia). Any changes in the tank, even a ph or temp change?

Hi, still no change. There hasn't been any changes to the tank apart from a 50% water change after the loaches died from dropsy. I've left the lights off in the tank and will be doing another water change tomorrow. I really don't know what's wrong with them :(

The food is still in dates yes. I only ever buy it in small quantities so its not hanging around too long. I think my next course of action then should be an antibiotic food?
Thank you for your help. Fingers crossed, that will help them.

Yes, I'd try that. Temp and ph have been stable? What is ph now?

Do you think the dropsy was caused by any thing? Sometimes the trigger is just first hot weather after winter or a really big water change.

Water changes and medicated fish food make sense but I'd like to make sure whatever caused it is gone so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom