"Stupid" Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoldyTofu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey! So my friend has a couple of 10 gallons set up and in one, there is what she calls the "Stupid" fish.
I really want to know what is actually wrong with this fish so we can try and help it..
The fish, a female Dalmatian molly, can only swim vertically. She flops around in the water and often looks like she is dead floating up to the surface only to flip around and wiggle back down to the bottom corner. She eats and from what I can tell is breathing fine. We at one point thought that she was blind but now that she's swimming weird we think it's something else...
uploadfromtaptalk1448983841509.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1448982514003.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448982550293.jpg

most likely a messed up swim bladder.
the swim bladder is bladder full of air that keeps the fish buoyant. If it is damaged/deflated or whatever, then the fish tend to act just like that molly.

most likely a messed up swim bladder.
the swim bladder is bladder full of air that keeps the fish buoyant. If it is damaged/deflated or whatever, then the fish tend to act just like that molly.

+1

Definitely looks like SBD. There's sadly not much that can be done about it aside from trying a salt bath.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom