Sudden neon death!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xlauraxjeanx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,
recently posted about the tank of tetra I rescued..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f59/hello-292911.html#post2785529
(there's the details if anyone needs 'em)

Well the latest is one of my neons has upped and died,could anyone give me some input on what caused it?
Yesterday I noticed he'd lost some of his red colouring,and had isolated himself from the others,choosing to hang out on his own behind some plants.Other than that he was swimming and breathing normally,and still darting out to feed with the others..
So i did some research on fading neons,the main suggestion seemed to be neon tetra disease,although most forums also said this was rare?
Armed with this knowledge i started setting up a quarantine tank last night,unfortunately before i'd even got that far he swam to the bottom and blubbed his last..
He had lost a lot of his red colouring,but no obvious white patches and no mis-shapen spine,bloating or erratic swimming that would suggest NTD...as the fish were rescued,i'm not sure how old he was-could this have just been old age?
And should I treat the other fish just in case?
Thanks guys!
Laura x

Maybe, hard to know. Was he the smallest or anything. Hopefully it is a one-off. Apart from a water change just in case I can't think of anything.

He wasn't the smallest,and no prior signs of being unwell!
I have done a water change anyway,so far the others seem fine,so fingers crossed it was a one off..thanks for replying! :)

Back
Top Bottom