Sumpthin' funny on Betta's fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennypenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

My Betta fish Scott seems to have something on his small swimming fin (not sure on the fin names, besides tail of course). It is very small and hard to see, so hopefully it will be fully treatable. The out side edge of his fin seems to have a brownish, fuzzyish outline to it. I would try to take a picture but, I don't think you will be able to see it. I noticed this 4 days ago.

2 days ago I bought some bettafix, unfortunatly I didn't notice that the bottle would only treat his tank for 2 days, small bottle, 10 gallon tank. I treated it the 2 days then went back to the pet store for more NONE left. (I only bought the bettafix because they had no other meds for fungus, and the pet store guy, who seemed not to be able to hear me as I kept saying it was fin problem and he kept pushing stuff for open sores at me)

I went ahead and bought the jungle tabs for fungus today at another store who also did not have the betta fix.

Ok, I guess I'm asking what do I do? Change the water? Start the fungus meds? I also have salt. Should I just use that and do extra water changes? 10 gallons, running for over a year.

Oh, the water params are A-0, Ites-0, and Ates about 5, used liquid kit.
Change water once a week-10days, lightly planted.

I've had good luck with aquarium salt as treatment for fungus. My rainbows came down with a bad case of it and the 1tsp of aquarium salt per gallon cleared up the fungus before I even had a chance to go for medicine.

Your fish might also have tail rot. Keep an eye on it, treat with salt and an anti-fungal medicine if you wish, and do extra PWCs.

P.S. Those medicines marketed specifically for bettas are a rip-off. They're pretty much the same as the other medicine, but in smaller portions intended for small betta tanks. If you're keeping your betta in a 10g, I'd look at the regular medicines.

Good luck.

Thanks. So I can use both the salt and meds? Should I replace the salt when I do a PWC?

Jenn

ETA: Yes, those betta medications, do seem to be a rip off! I couldn't belive when I got home and saw that, that bottle would only treat 20 gallons! Of course, before I found this place I would be one of "those" people who would keep a betta in a vase. Now, I know better. After watching Scott play, I could never keep a betta in anything smaller!

pimafix and melafix are, imo, the absolute best cure for fungal infections. plus theyre all natural and dont mess with your bacteria colony

You can use both salt and meds. You should replace the salt when you do a PWC. The salt is dissolved in the water and is removed with the water.

I agree that bettas are much happier in bigger tanks. My wife's 5g is as small as I'll go. My wife loves to watch her betta, Gus, do the "hungry dance".

Only use 1/2 doses for bettas. 1 tsp per gallon with the salt, dissolve before you put it in. Change 30-50% of the water every day. Do not use salt for more than 10 days with the betta, or it can cause kidney problems/failure. I would go either the meds or the salt route, but not both with the bettas.
Good luck! :)

My betta had ich and I used salt for like two weeks with heat. He died a month or two later. It was so sad. Before I had him, a woman had kept him in a vase and didn't feed him for a long time. It was then passed to another woman who used tap water without conditioner (she didn't have any, I understood she was just trying to help. It was a very small container and it was dirty.) and I kept it for about a year in a 2.5g. Then it got ich and things went downhill.

Thanks Everyone! I knew ya'll would be so much more helpful than the LPS store guy! I guess if he would have asked more questions, he would have ended up blameing me for having poor Scott in such a HUGE tank! :)

Oh no DK, what happened to Elvis? I havent been on in a while, I just saw your signature!

Jenny

Do not use salt for more than 10 days with the betta, or it can cause kidney problems/failure. I would go either the meds or the salt route, but not both with the bettas.
Good luck! :)

Wow it's good I stumbled across that. I was considering eventually getting a female betta for my guppy tank but I use some salt in there. When i do eventually get bettas (not till I'm settled in university this september) I will house them in different water.

Back
Top Bottom