Suspected fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikkih

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Suspected fin rot (in fantail goldfish)

Hi all,

I posted before to get advice when doing a forced fish-in cycle after adopting both a fan-tail goldfish fish and it's 30 gallon tank.

We think the fish-in-cycle is done. Recently went away and when came back the water was 0.25 or less for both ammonia and nitrite and it had been at least 7 days. So he (or she) survived.

However, I suspect fin rot is present. We were told he might have a fungal infection or fin rot when we got him. I suspect his water quality was not good before we got him. It's a lot better now obviously and we did a daily 25-50% PWCs as needed during the cycle depending on how bad the water quality was - although there were days that the ammonia was creeping to 1ppm before the water change was completed.

I'll try to get pictures but he keeps moving! In the meantime, I'm seeing a slight tear/shredding to his pelvic fins and anal fins and one or two white spots on his beautiful caudual fin.

I've ordered API Melafix and API Aquarium Salt from Amazon which arrive tomorrow. Is this the right step forward do you think?

Also as the only occupant to his tank I don't think I need to move him to a different tank do I?

Thanks in advance - nikkih

I should also mention it looks like he has burst blood vessels in his caudual fin. However, I've read somewhere that this happens with age for fantail goldfish??

I've managed to get pictures - I'll upload in a second but I think he has fin rot - on his dorsal, pelvic and anal fins and possibly on his caudual as well (there are bits that are cloudy white).

Pictures of Flappy

Flappy.jpg
Here he is being still for a change which means the shredding can't be seen but the front of the dorsal fin looks suspect to me.

red spots on caudual tear on anal and dorsal.jpg
Here's the red spots on the caudual fins I was talking about. Also the front of the dorsal fin looks uneven and white, and I think that's shredding on the anal fins.

Red spots tail.jpg
A different view of the caudual fins.

pelvic 1.jpg
What I think is shredding on the pelvic fins.

As my posts no doubt suggest - I am a complete newbie trying to do my best by this fish and knew nothing about fish care or upkeep before he was given to me. I've tried researching fin rot and looking at images and it seems to match what I'm seeing above but I'd appreciate more learned opinions.

Please correct me wherever I am wrong in what I post and/or assume - I'm still learning.

Looks like the beginning stages of bacterial fin rot. If it were me I would dose the tank with meds asap while he's still healthy enough to take it. Some will probably advise you to just keep the water pristine but I find that, that alone doesn't work well at all for bacterial fin rot and once it sets in deterioration can move fast.

A couple good medications you can use that won't kill your BB is Furan 2 and Kanaplex.

I also don't believe you are completely cycled. I would be changing water until you get 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and keep it there. Ammonia speeds up fin rot. Im guessing you will be looking at 50% water changes every other day. You could try this alone with Aquarium salt and see if you have any positive changes in your fish in a couple weeks. If it seems as if the fins are getting worse even when keeping the water pristine then you know you are dealing with bacterial fin rot and you'll need to dose meds.

I personally don't think Melafix does much if anything. Aquarium salt is a standard usage for fin issues. Dose 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. You can also dose Epsom salt at the same dosage. Make sure it's unscented and pure Epsom salt. You can dose both at the same time as Epsom salt is not truly a salt.

It'll be your call as to how you'd like to handle it. Some people use meds, some like to go about things as natural as possible when possible.

Thanks Kingfisher

Okay I will definitely look at getting the Epsom salts. Amazon in the UK doesn't stock either treatment you suggest (that I could see) so I may try the Melafix first and if I don't have success, see if I can find your recommendations elsewhere.

Re: the cycle - how long does a fish-in-cycle normally take?

Also - BB?? Not sure of the acronym and wasn't in FAQs - I'm guessing something to do with the bacteria in the biofilter?

The fish in cycle can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

BB is beneficial bacteria.

Thanks for that. Tank has been cycling for over 7 weeks. Currently testing daily as I know that water quality has a big effect on fin rot. Ammonia always seems at slightly more than 0 but less than 0.25 (its just not quite the perfect yellow). Nitrite is definitively zero. Nitrates are coming down and are somewhere between 20 and 40ppm. Our tap water is over 40ppm and the last week and a bit are the first time we've seen the nitrate numbers falling.

I've added aquarium salt but not epsom salt (as I only read that it was good for bloating and that doesn't seem an issue for him/her). I also started the dose of melapix and am keeping a very watchful eye. No sign of improvement yet but has only been two days. It's certainly not progressing.

Will be investing in a quarantine tank and if needs be, will get Flappy on antibiotics. I'll also look out for the products that you suggested at my lfs but it's weird that Amazon don't sell them in the UK.

It could take several weeks. You just have to watch for the fins getting worse.

I believe the UK regulates fish antibiotics so it maybe a little difficult to get.

Back
Top Bottom