Swim bladder fish suffering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone I have asked questions about my fish on here before.
She has suffered swim bladder now for a long time. She did have good days but now she doesn't. She floats belly up on top of the water most of the day tries to swim to the bottom when she can but floats straight back up. She is still eating but not much. I have tried peas aquarium salt had her in a smaller tank with less water which caused stress on her so halved the tank in her normal tank to relieve the pressure on the bladder which didn't help. Have called vets exotic vets asked online. I do have some medicine coming in the next few days hopefully to rule out a bacteria infection that's my last thing to try the product is called bio tet.
I have come to the stage now where I think her quality of life isn't the best she a large fancy fish. I have only had her a year or so. It breaks my heart to see her like she is. Now because she is upside down a lot she has a really red eye I think from the pressure of being upside down and a row of missing scales down her belly which looks raw :-(
I just want people's opinions please should I try the medicine or take her to the vets to be put out of her misery? I couldn't do it myself I rather she get put to sleep.
She's a beautiful little fish she has had this swim bladder issue since I have got her I got her a bigger tank and tried many things to help her but had no luck.
Is it time now?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The missing scales is from the filter where she lays to hold her self steady :-( i can't put anything there to stop her from going there. Have added salt to help the wound.

I think it may well be time. It's a hard decision to make, but if the fish does not have any real quality of life, then it's time to let her go, and not make her suffer through to the very end, whenever that might be.

I have had to euthanize four fish, all for dropsy. It was not an easy thing to do, but at least when it was done, I knew they were no longer suffering any pain or distress. If the last medicine does not help, if this were my fish, I would let it go.

My sympathies.

Thank you for replying to my message. I have put the medicine in her tank I will wait for the 3-4 days to see if it makes a difference if it doesn't we have decided that we will not let her suffer we have tried everything to help her with no success.
I am still hoping the medicine does make her better but if it doesn't we will end her suffering I am going to take her to the vet to be put to sleep I couldn't do it myself.
What is dropsy? Is that similar to swim bladder?

Dropsy is a condition where the fish can't regulate its internal fluid balance and the body swells up noticeably. The scales begin to protrude, to the point the fish can resemble an open pine cone. Sometimes this is called pine coning. Even the eyes may pop out, due to internal pressure. You might see red on the belly, which is probably infection showing through. Seems to be related to poor water conditions, and yet usually only one fish will get it. Some species appear to be more subject to it. The fish I lost to dropsy were all Danios and their water parameters were the same as always, so it can be hard to know why something like that happens

Swim bladder problems are different. They can be due to injury, constipation or even a genetic defect of some kind. Frequently fish will recover, but sadly, not all will recover.

I can understand you not wanting to euthanize by yourself. But I wonder, have you checked with the vet to find out if they know how to euthanize fish ? There are not very many vets who are piscine [ fish ] vets. I was just thinking, it would be terrible for you to get there and then be told they don't know how to do the procedure. It is hard enough already.

If they are wiling but don't know how, I can refer you to a couple of sites with good information they could use.

Hi thanks for telling me about dropsy I thought she might have had that. It's defiantly swim bladder not scales lifted. Yes I am going to ring first and check before I take her I'm going to ring around a few vets to check first. If not I'm going to have to do it my self? Maybe with the clove oil?
I've never had to euthanise a fish before :-(

I just called the vet they said they would put her down. They put an aseptic in the water then they give them a needle. The vet has put down goldfish before and she is the vet I usually go too.

Here is the link for the sticky in unhealthy fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

I had a heart breaking time with a giant fancy goldy. She passed on her own after hundreds (maybe even thousands) of gallons of water changes over weeks and then better and then not... and so many times of and kinds of medications.

You could use clove oil if you felt up to it. If not then if you can have the vet do it it would be fine. It is an awfully hard decision for an animal you care for.

I feel for your situation and how hard it is, and sad and painful. But probably if the fish can't get better there is nothing left but a miserable existence. My vet about my dog told me that as the keeper of an animal, it is our most care and love for the animal when we do what we can to end its suffering.

That's what I think too. Hard as it is, it is a kindness, the last one we can offer our pets.

Much as we hate to part with them, to keep them only because we can't bear to let them go is kind of selfish. I knew a woman, decades ago, who had a horse that was dying, of old age mainly. It was 30 years old, had lost all its teeth, and despite every supplement and special feed that didn't have to be chewed, could not keep weight on. As it grew thinner it got so weak it couldn't walk more than a few steps. She'd had the horse since the day it was foaled and even though she knew it was going to die, she could not let it go. It was absolutely skeletal and so many people who saw the animal called authorities to report that it was being abused, thinking it wasn't being fed. Eventually she did have it put down and buried on the farm, but only because Animal Control forced her to. It was incredibly sad, but I felt worst for the horse, because by the time Animal Control intervened, it could barely stand. I know she loved it, but it would have been kind to let it go much sooner. The vet reported to Animal Control that the horse would have died within a day or two. Of all the things I fear about losing a pet, I fear waiting too long more than anything else.

When I learned my fish had dropsy, and that it would not get better, I investigated how you went about putting down a fish. Thank goodness for the internet. To be frank, I felt rather sick to my stomach when I started and it was not easy, but as it went to sleep, at least I knew the fish was no longer suffering. The good thing about using clove oil is that fish does not even notice it. They don't thrash around or anything, just swim and then they just slow down and gradually sink to the bottom as they go to sleep. It's painless and peaceful.

I am very sorry this has happened, but it is a sad reality that very few pets will live as long as we might wish they would. I remember the fun we had and the enjoyment they gave me, and I try to honour that by having more pets, so they have good homes, the best care I can provide and someone to love them.

Hi everyone my little fish is going to the vet today :-( I think it's time she doesn't suffer any more. I have just fed her one last time then we are going to the vets in an hour or so. I feel really upset she's great fish :-(

Hi everyone my little fish is going to the vet today :-( I think it's time she doesn't suffer any more. I have just fed her one last time then we are going to the vets in an hour or so. I feel really upset she's great fish :-(

Sorry. Losing a pet - any pet - is painful.

It really is :-( I hated taking her to the vets today.
But she isn't suffering anymore

I'm sorry for your loss. You have my thoughts and condolences. You did everything you could. You are a kind pet owner.

I'm sorry you had to take her in but I'm glad she's not suffering anymore.

I lost my betta boy yesterday. I was going to euthanize him but sadly he passed before I even called the store about clove oil. I'm glad he did not suffer long, I'm glad he's out of pain. I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

We buried him close to our window outside, about 4 feet down in a 16oz container with a little tank water and a tiny bit of sand that came out when I scooped him out.

I miss him a lot but he's in the great big fish pond in the sky now. I have lots of pictures and videos of him. He was my curious, smart, loveable, cute boy. I miss him.

Thanks everyone and thanks for all your help with her. I miss her so much. It's horrible walking past the tank without seeing her. My other fish Google really misses her he's looking for her. I'm going to wait a while before I get another one. I have medicine in the tank from yahoo so I am going to wait until the water is all cleared up from that and also not ready for another fish just yet. We buried her too near the front window she was wrapped up in a little flannel with a ribbon on the front.
I'm sorry you lost your little betta fish :-( they are both up there together swimming in the big fish pond :)
Thanks again everyone for everything

You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to bury her.

I hope he doesn't get too sad :(

Do you have some nice pictures of her?

Thank you. It'll take a while to not be sad. Eventually I'll think of him with just fond and happy memories. Right now it's just fresh and sad :(

I do have lots of photos of her I was always taking photos of them :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412994330.397034.jpg

Back
Top Bottom