Swim bladder medication?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've now put my guppy in a bag inn the tank so I can medicate him (bag is around the hatchery box) and not the others. The medication is interpet swim bladder treatment, and says it's a 4 dose treatment to repeat on days 4,8&12. After the full course do a 30% water change! My question is, if he is in his own water, does that mean I leave him in that water 19 days before changing it? IMG_1513161143.411149.jpg

Forgot to say, it says "wait 7 days after last treatment to change water" so that would make it 19 days in the same water?

That's what I thought! The ingredients are: formaldehyde 2000mg/100ml, bronopol 1045mg/100ml and benzalkonium 500mg/100ml

Does the medication tell you to isolate the fish in a small amount of water to treat them? Like a fish bowl? All the meds I’ve ever used are for a “tank” with filters and air stones etc...

No it doesn't, but I will do daily water changes and I've ajdusted the medication! I'm not sure if it is swim bladder and don't want to affect the other fish or chemistry of the tank

What are symptoms? Thanks, I’ll look up those last couple of meds later but I’m assuming antiseptics and not antibiotics.

He was using his side fins rather than tail fin and being tail heavy, couldn't keep up right. I put him in the hatchery a week ago to give him a rest, started the swim bladder treatment on Wednesday, his next dose is Saturday but he looks worse today and not eating (im daily changing his water and using the tank water) IMG_1513255761.443546.jpg

He stays mainly like this now, whereas a few days ago he would try and get to the top of the hatchery

I think you will be pretty lucky to get a cure unfortunately. Keep us posted. Looked up the meds and just basic catch-all’s.

Salt would be one to try next time as well.

Have you checked ph?

I don't have much hope, he has stopped eating and is less active! I haven't checked my ph, but surely the rest of the fish would be suffering? I've had my neons nearly 6 month and my other 3 guppies about 4 months. Right now, I am doing daily water changes

Should be ok for ph. The reason I ask is that I have found my live bearers here did better in harder water (which tends to be higher ph). Just a working idea if you find yourself with the odd one going every few months for pretty much no reason.

This is the first one that has got sick in the 6 months I've had a tank. This morning is the first time he has been to the toilet since been in the hatchery! I put him in on the 6th, fed a pea on the 8th, but he didn't actively go and eat any, not sure if he got some, but his poo today (15th) his poo is normal brown at one end then the other, green (bit fluffy) is the only way I can describe it IMG_0648.jpg

His poop in the picture is just next to where his body ends and tail starts

Can you add an airstone to his container? Just a little air might help also with the water..
If you are changing water daily then you need to redose meds daily to at least replace what is removed in the water change....Antibiotics need to installed in proper amounts.
Here is a link you probably already found with the basics...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...fish-1381230&usg=AOvVaw3vFRgWXuUYAZg4GvnmUGn0

I'm not sure it was that in the end I thanx anyway

Back
Top Bottom