Swimming Erratically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjdave

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, this is my first post. I have a 10 gallon tank with a hang on the back basic filter from Walmart. I live in a rural area and am on well water with a Trojan light. The pet store said that I didn't need to add any conditioners, stress coat, stress zyme, etc. I have 4 pladdy's that are about 1 inch long. I have only had them for a week. I floated them in the tank inside the bag from the pet store for about 30 minutes then I used a dip net to get them out and into the tank. I do 3 gallon water changes every 2 to 3 days since I do not have a test kit. Nothing new in the tank except the 4 pladdy's. I use basic flake food once a day. They eat fine.
Here is my problem. Their gills are a little red. But the main issue is they are swimming erratically! They look like salmon spawning upstream! They swim normally when they are eating. Some times they just sit still but they look like they are trying to swim a marathon! Their fins are moving super fast but they aren't going anywhere! They act like they are hyped up on caffeine!
Please help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It definitely sounds like your ammonia is high. Up your water changes to 50% you can do those twice a day if needed. Your tank is probably cycling get some prime and add that to the new water every time you change some.

Definitely sounds like high ammonia as been said, a fish's gills go red when the ammonia is high. I would definitely up water changes and use water conditioner.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Jip, ammonia sounds like the culprit. Water change!!! But with prime! You will be good. A test kit will be your best friend.

Thank you all so much. I will get started with the water changes right away. How much Prime should I put in? Thanks again Cjdave

Hi there... Ok so if you are using the small bottle that makes drops,.. Then it's 2 drops per gallon.

If you are using the bigger bottles, without the droplet hole.. Then it's 1ml per 10 gallons. Each thread inside the cap is 1ml.

I usually remove 50% water,... Fill my bucket up with fresh tap water... Add my full dose for the size of the tank to bucket. I wait for 10 mins..., and then add water back into aquarium.

Please also read instructions on bottle!!

Please let me know if you have any questions. - anytime

Thank you very much for your help. I have some more problems I put on a new post listed part 2 can you help me with them. thanks again. cjdave

Back
Top Bottom