Switching meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am switching today from Maroxy to Tetracycline. Is it possible to just do a 100% water change before starting the T.C or do I have to run a carbon filter too?

I want to start the T.C. ASAP. Thanks!

Jana

I would absolutely run a carbon first. Some meds have dire consequences if put in the tank together.

What are you treating for?

no clue. Columnaris? Fungal? All I know is white on the upper lip of tetras seems fuzzy on one fish. I can't catch a picture. Poor JLK has been helping me since the beginning of May and these Darn fish are being stubborn so far I have done:
Pimafix/Melafix mix then
Triple Sulfa then
Furan-2 Kanaplax mix then
Maroxy

I have Tetracycline to start and see if it helps and I am getting a bigger QT tank before I change it in case they are overstocked. (actually that answers my water change problem Duh).

Tempted to also pull the fish that are showing NO symptoms yet out and keep them separate to see if they will stay well. Or just cull the whole lot! (mostly kidding).

Thanks I'll run carbon through the filter while I am getting everything else ready. Think 8-12 hrs is enough?

I rarely, if ever, use meds so I'm not a good one to ask about the timeframe.

Looking at your laundry list of meds, if that were my tank, I would cull the symptomatic fish.

I trust JLK's advice.

Hi! If its brand new carbon, do a big wc, run it for a couple of hours and do another wc. You should be good to go! Lynda's suggestion of culling the sick fish may be something you have to seriously consider in the future. You have tried a slew meds with zero improvement and/or things becoming worse. After the tetracycline, there really only is the expensive stuff left to try. I am really hoping the combo of tetra & dips helps but I suspect your fish have quite a degree of antibiotic resistance. This is not your fault & your doing your best to help your little guys!! For now, all you can do is keep trying & hope for the best!

I agree I am actually going with an anti parasitic since I haven't tried that yet (just in case) then I will either try the tetracycline since I have it or cull.

Can I use methylene blue baths with anti parasitic?

I was also debating fish that don't show symptoms out of the tank. Opinions?

I am wanting to finish up this adventure. :(

What kind of anti-parasite meds? What are the active ingredients? Most likely they cant be combined but it depends on the ingredients. You could try just treating the tank with methylene blue but it will stain everything. I would not move fish out of this tank no matter if they seem healthy or not because you risk the possiblity of spreading whatever is in this tank. All of the fish have been exposed even if they dont show symptoms.

I started API General Cure.
250 mg Metronidazole
75mg Praziquantel

I was going to move the ones that look into a tank by themselves. I would only be worried about them infecting substrate and decorations but I can bleach those.

This is a good example of a quarantine lasting more than 4 weeks :/

I dont have an exact answer here. I know metro can be combined with 1/2 doses of methylene blue but prazi, too?? I would skip the dips with this combo because I dont know if there would be possible interactions or not.

Ok :/. I probably should have struck with another antibiotic but I figured I'd already been through so many antibiotics and an anti fungal. Anti parasitic was the one thing I hadn't tried. I'll go ahead an do the tetracycline/methelyne blue combo after this for closure before we cull the lot :(. Poor guys

Thanks for the help!

Metro is a gram positive antibiotic. It just happens to also be effective against some types of internal bugs, too. Prazi is a dewormer med you commonly see in dog & cat dewormers. I just dont know about the mix of all 3. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom