switching meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, here I am on my fourth day of battling ich. I may or may not have four stable fish, but they aren't getting any better. I got a really great article from Allivymar on ich, and it suggested four ways to deal with it. I have been using malachite green and raised the temp to 80. Is it a good idea to switch meds? If so, should I use a carbon filter for a day or so to get the old med out (my sponge filters are bright green, do I need to change those too?). Or should I leave the m.g. in and add another? Has anyone had better success with a certain brand or type of ich med?

my first batch of black mollies had a bad case of ich when I first introduced them

I think it was because the LFS had been keeping them brackish, and I dumped in straight into fw...

anyway, I added several tablespoons of salt and in a few weeks, the mollies had all recovered... I've then acclimated them to pure freshwater after many weeks of water changes and not replacing the salt.

that's not to say that salt will cure your problems, just sharing my experience with ich.

i've also found it to be a lot safer than other medications, since it doesn't stink up the water, discolor anything or damage the biofiltration.

Back
Top Bottom