symptoms point to velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
This is my 3rd post on this matter in the unhealthy fish section of the forum. It started out with my group of tiger barbs exhibiting unexplained flashing. I saw no symptoms to suggest any particular cause. I began treating immediately with green malachite, since I know what its like to have a tank wiped out by a parasite, i wasn't going to waste any time at all. Flashing and treating both continued for several days, and eventually i saw the greenish gold "dusting" covering some of the fish that suggests velvet as the cause. I picked up some sentry Mardel coppersafe today and treated the tank. sources suggest that the "velvet" parasites are much more resistant to green malachite than ich. most sources also suggest turning the light off for a week since the parasite uses photosynthesis to prosper. I'm a bit bummed that I have to keep them in the dark for a week. hopefully the parasites will be gone when I turn the lights back on. This tank contains gold gouramis tiger barbs, and a jack dempsey, as well as a common pleco. does anyone know if all of these fish are okay to sit in darkness that long? please let me know if you know otherwise. else, I'll be sitting here hoping it clears up by next thursday.

Good luck with them. The fish should be fine for a few days in the dark - I have never heard of any problems.

Back
Top Bottom