Syno cat white spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gallon with a dwarf puffer. I added and acclimated a syno cat to the tank. They have been together 3 weeks. Tank has been running 8 weeks.
This morning there is white 'very tiny' dots on syno cat. I did WC 2 days ago and he was fine then.
Is it ICH?
Puffer is ok.
I do put 1 teaspoon per 1 gallon aquarium salt in tank and it is 80 degrees.
I use Stability for beneficial bacteria

Ich looks like someone sprinkled salt in the fishes skin, pictures are hard to tell but ich is pretty unmistakable. High heat and salt is all that's needed but with synodontis being scaleless they're a little more sensitive to salt than some others. Here is good link on treatment.

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

You also may want to research your cat after this is all done, they are a robust schooling species that reaches 6-7". Point being a 10g tank doesn't make a suitable living space for a fish of that size long term. Depending on size you have some time before a upgrade is needed but something to give some thought to.

Last edited:
I was able to treat my syno eupterus (sp?) with just heat when I kept him. I turned the heat up slowly and kept it there for a week after the last white spots disappeared. He was the worst out of everyone and did quite well afterwards.

I agree with the potential to rehome. Mine ended up in a 150g cichlid tank when it was ~10". Just be aware.

I got an adjustable heater and adding aqua salt.

I just don't want the puffer to catch it. Is that all I can do??

Have heat at 85. Added salt. What salinity should it be at? I have a hydrometer
- I just don't want puffer getting ICK

I'm not sure of the safe range of salt for scaleless fish. Like I said, I successfully treated my syno with just heat. I went a bit higher to 86F though.

Had temp at 86 +/- and syno started not being able to breathe. Acting weird. Everyone else in tank is ok. No spots. Lowered temp to 84+/- and seems ok. Swimming around. Also added 1 tbsp salt to 10 gallons. (3tsp)
How my doing?? Syno is itchy...... I was thinking of adding Garlic to water?

I'm not aware of garlic doing anything for ich. Garlic is typically used to attract picky eaters to food.

It is hard to do but you pretty much just have to wait it out.

I think it is more for immune system help and keeping them eating. I've not had to deal with ICK yet and this SUCKS! My poor syno is so uncomfortable. Looks itchy
I'm a very impatient person. Not good for me either

Hey so 5 days in and the ICK is worse on syno, but he likes the higher temp. Has been very active. The puffer does not have ICK. Going to add garlic, focus, and metrocondizole to their food as an internal parasite fighter

Back
Top Bottom