Tail Rot or Self Mutilation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

By this stage some of you may know about the ongoing issues with Piglet the Betta as I have already posted about him a few times. I am starting to suspect however that his 'tail rot' may actually be him nibbling at his own tail as I almost caught him doing it yesterday (staring at his tail not actually nibbling). I've attached some photos so I can see what you guys think and if he is biting how do I get him to stop? He has a filter, he has live plants, he has a heater set on 28 degrees C (actual water temp. ranges from 24.5 to 26), he has hidey holes and I feed him a combination of Betta Pellets and Freeze Dried Worms. At the moment I'm doing daily 30% water changes and weekly 100% water changes and treating the messy fins with a fifth of the recommended dose of MelaFix daily. Other than providing him with dinner and a show I don't know what else to do ... Oh I also tried putting a mirror up for ten minutes a day (which makes him flare like crazy) in case he was bored and then NOT putting up a mirror for 10 minutes a day in case he was stressing out. I hope you can see in the photos that his top fin has got some nice looking re-growth but the tail is still a mess and now there seems to be issues with his bottom fin too :confused: ... Help?
:fish1:

Attachments

• Piglet 1.jpg
    Piglet 1.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Piglet 2.jpg
    Piglet 2.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Piglet 3.jpg
    Piglet 3.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 90
It sounds like you are doing all the right things. The clean water should heal him up. There is nothing in the tank with sharp edges?

Nope ... the only other thing I can think of is that his fins are getting damaged being sucked through the filter. He sleeps there EVERY night. It's actually kind of cute. As soon as I turn the bedroom light off and get into bed he heads straight for the filter and stays there until I turn the light on in the morning. Does it look like tail rot or damage to you? I can't see any white or black on the edges so that's why I'm leaning towards an injury rather than an infection.

He's very pretty, I agree with Rich keep the water conditions pristine and monitor the tail section for a week or so, within that time you should start seeing new growth if not then a round a meds may be needed. Always start with water and go from there...I think Melafix/Pimafix make great paperweights but that's all.

I already did six days with Multi Cure (Malachite Green, Methylene Blue and Acriflavine). Honestly I didn't see much change. He's appetite and everything else seem ok. He's plenty active and still eating like a little piggy (hence the name) and his fins / tail keep showing a bit of regrowth and then getting worse again. I really do think he's chewing on himself. He seems to spend a lot of time chasing his tail like a dog. Could it be a boredom / anxiety thing? Any sugestion on meds if it's not?

Back
Top Bottom