Tail Rot- Update and What I did to save my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMOOOZZZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'd like to share with you all what I did to save my Albino Oscar fish. First of all and most important it was YOU my friends who helped me initally on taking immediate actions. My Oscar had tail and fin rot I noticed one morning and quickly spread throught his body. I bought a new tuperware dunk it into the tank and picked up my Oscar he wasn't moving much at that time so he wasn't fightning me, I didn't want to use the net it would cause more stress. I put the lid over so he could not jump out. I suctioned out the poop and left over food, I did about a 90% water change after I did a complete cleaning of the rocks. After the tank was almost full that's when I dunk the container that I had Oscar in and he swam right in with no stress. I immediately started the treatment and used Maracyn plus medicine (important to pull out the filter and use a filter without carbon inside otherwise medicine does not work) I followed medicine instructions after treatment was complete I pulled out Oscar again with container and did another cleaning this time I did about a 40% water change. 2 weeks after the whole ordeal his skin has healed, his fins are starting to grow back and his energy level is back to where it was. I'm currently cycling a 55 gallon tank and will be separating my more agressive fish into another tank so my Oscar can be stress free, and lesson I learned I need to clean my tank about every week and a half to keep the bacteria levels down to avoid tail rot. Hope this information helps for you all. :fish2:

Maracyn 1/2 works well in soft water. More spefically maracyn 2 minocycline. I raise guppies and they always get this disease. For people with hard water they should use kanamycin and feed with medicated feed containing oxytetracycline. This works better in hard water or saltwater fishrooms.

Back
Top Bottom