tail up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabezon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a yellow tetra that is having a hard time keeping on the bottom. she is resting under things. but when she comes out of a nook, she goes up tail first. i assume it is a swim bladder problem. is there anything I can do?

I already did a PWC and added salt. is there an antibiotic for him?

Shaw

Is he bloated at all? Swim bladder issues are often caused by water quality issues. Is this in your 5 or 55 gal tank? What are your parameters? For swim bladder issues, epsom salt is better than aquarium salt. Epsom salt helps to release the fluids. Also try feeding some frozen peas, nuke the peas for a few seconds, peel and mush up to bite sized portions.

this is in the 5 gallon. i Put a couple peas in yesterday, I will have to get some epsom salts. any ideas on how much to put in? I saw epsom salts used to buffer in a SW tank. I am thinking 30% PWC 2X a week instead of the 50 once a week might help too.

thanks

Extra water changes can't hurt that is for sure. I usually dose 1 tsp per 10 gals. There is much controversy on this dosage. I would try 1/4 tsp for your tank and monitor the situation. Is he bloated at all?

nope not bloated, he looked a little better but he is still having problems. I'll get epsom salts tonight. thanks

hes got a red spot inside his tail. I hope the epsom salts are working, he's a little more level now.

he's still floating tail first and the spot inside his tail is red, but he is moving around. but last night we lost a guppy, with no warning. it was before the epsom salts, and I know guppies like aquarium salt. i hope he didnt over eat on the peas, the wife was heartbroken. she loved the guppy.

Back
Top Bottom