Tailess Danio O.O Concerns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopamaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys just joined today :D
Anyway, 2 days ago my gold long-finned danio had a little accident with my HOB power filter.:(
Luckily, i was able to unplug the filter and he swam back to saftety. However, he did sustain injuries on his caudal and dorsal fin.
His dorsal fin is fine and seems to be healing fast. His tail fin also seemed to be healing but was rather ragged (it looked more like a normal danio caudal fin than a long-finned after the incident) But when i woke up this morning to check on him, his tail was completely gone :confused:
Now im not really sure if this counts as a "unhealthy" fish because he seems very healthy, is swimming normally and is very eager to feed. Should i be concerned? Thanks in advance.

Danios regenerate fins so it will grow back but it might take a few weeks ...try putting some aquarium salt .it will speed the process

Up your water change schedule. Clean water is the best cure for damaged fins. A little aquarium salt can help (1 tsp per 5 gallons, added over a couple days) but be sure none of your fish are particularly sensitive to salt before starting treatment. Be on the lookout for any infection starting in the tail, but if you keep the tank and water very clean this will be less likely to happen.

Thanks for the input. I have been monitoring him and he seems to be doing great. I've been doing 25-30% weekly water changes. Will 2 tsp (for my 10 gal) of aquarium salt harm my mystery snail? If not I'll try to find some. Thanks again

Snails can be a bit touchy with salt. Try a half dose, or 1 tsp for the whole tank. My mystery snails have always done fine with that ratio. Remember, when you do your water changes only add as much salt as you took out. So if you change half of the water, add a half tsp back to the new water. I would go ahead and change out 50% of your water at each water change if only to help speed up the fish's recovery. Do you have a test kit to monitor the toxins in your tank?

Ok thanks. I'll try to get the salt when i can. Funny thing is i just came home from Petsmart when you replied lol. And i have some old test strips i use, though i know you guys reccomend that API master kit thing.

Back
Top Bottom