Tank epidemic! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
10g planted tank. Been up for over a year.

the other day I noticed one of my platies was sick, super skinny. I figured it was wasting disease/worms. By the time I got the medicine in (Tetra Parasite Guard), it was too late. I found him curved around the filter intake breathing heavy the next day. I did not add the second dose of medicine. I decided to temperature shock him.

Today I was looking at my tank and I discovered a neon's tail stuck inside the intake! I eventually netted him out but he ended up dying earlier tonight. Then I'm looking around my tank: 3 neons looking healthy--bright blue, swimming together. and I only see one of my platies. Still brightly colored, swimming around.

I was missing one platy which I found hiding in the deepest corner of my tank. I eventually netted him to take a closer look. His fins seemed clamp but he didn't look any skinnier than normal. I should note he was darting back and forth on the bottom of the tank.

I have no idea what's up. I cannot check my params-- I left my kit at school and I'm home for break.

The neon that died today looked like it might have curved a bit so I'm fearing it may be TB but I am not sure. picture attached.

I don't know what to do! Should I do a massive PWC and then add aquarium salt?

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 63
I know, I left my master kit at school.
Oh! But i did bring home those crummy Mardel test strips. That's all I am going to be able to go on. Doesn't give an ammonia reading though.

Nitrites are 0. High alkalinity and hardness. High pH I believe.
Nitrates didn't seem to read but I doubt they're low.

The sponge is a good idea. I do that in my fry tanks. I would try several days of water changes in a row, and see if that helps. Fish can fight off lots of ailments themselves if kept in pristine water conditions.

This might be a dumb question, but should I replace my neons so the three remaining aren't stressed during this time or should I just let them deal?

Don't add anymore fish until this issue is solved. the 3 will be fine until then.

Back
Top Bottom