Tank had ick.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Correction. Tank HAS ick. I don't have a Q tank. So I have treat my whole tank. I'm gonna start treatment today. Gonna raise the temp and add salt. But if anyone can recommend another technique that would be great!

Also will my plants be ok if I were to add a chemical treatment?

My stock is
2 severums
4 Congo tetras
1 gourami
1 Pleco
1 Pictus cat
2 clown loaches
1 tire track eel

Thanks AA!

-Aaron

Clown loaches are sensitive to salt and whitespot meds so i would simply go wth raised temp. Worked for me in the past. I've always raised temp to 31C (88F i think?) and kept it there for at least a week after the last spot disappears. PWCs will help as will cleaning the substrate

Dreadz said:
Clown loaches are sensitive to salt and whitespot meds so i would simply go wth raised temp. Worked for me in the past. I've always raised temp to 31C (88F i think?) and kept it there for at least a week after the last spot disappears. PWCs will help as will cleaning the substrate

Ok I'm not gonna do a salt bath. But how do I kill the parasite in its free swimming stage?
And should I be prepared to lose some fish?

The increased temp will speed up the life cycle of the parasite so reducing the time it is able to infect a new host. The PWC's and substrate cleaning will also remove some of the parasites from the aquarium.
It's not an instant fix but it will work. Just keep on top of the PWC's and keep temp elevated for at least a week after the last spot has disappeared.
As for losing fish, that would depend on how bad the infection is currently. If you've caught it early enough you could get through the treatment with no losses.

Dreadz said:
The increased temp will speed up the life cycle of the parasite so reducing the time it is able to infect a new host. The PWC's and substrate cleaning will also remove some of the parasites from the aquarium.
It's not an instant fix but it will work. Just keep on top of the PWC's and keep temp elevated for at least a week after the last spot has disappeared.
As for losing fish, that would depend on how bad the infection is currently. If you've caught it early enough you could get through the treatment with no losses.

Thanks! The fish seem to be fine. Also I'm concerned that my plant stock will not survive.

Back
Top Bottom