Tank in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queenie11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have only had my fish for a couple weeks but they are all dieing. I think it is ammonia poisoning because my levels were very very high. I had started with 3 glofish and 2 Cory catfish in a 20 gallon tank and they were fine so I decided to add some more (I spent 3 months cycling the tank before I put in any fish) I had added 3 cherry barbs a blue Micky mouse platy and panda platy a sunset platy a neon Molly and a silver Molly. The panda died immediately, I think I bought it sick. But when I tested the water the ammonia was very high so I did a 50% water change and added in some detoxifier. The next day water was doing better but was still high so I did a 1/3 water change. I added some more detoxifier the day after ( I was concerned about too much because it warned that it can deplete oxygen levels and to be careful) I then saw that my neon Molly was very disoriented and couldn't swim correctly (which it wasn't a few minutes before) so I took it to the pet shop I bought it at and they placed it In a mild salt solution to help it. It worked and I took it home 10 minutes later. I was worried about putting it back in the tank so I left it in the bowl I had it in. After some more water changes and detoxifier for a few days my water was fine. I put the Molly back in. A few days later both mollies were dead and ammonia was up again but not as bad as the first time. I replaced some more water and it went down, a few days later the Micky mouse platy died and ammonia was up a bit. I have been replacing water again, but if I don't do it every day it goes bad. This can't be right? There has to be something else, my city tap water has a little too much ammonia so I have to buy gallons from the store every time I do this. Please help?

Back
Top Bottom