Tank Needs Serious Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been keeping fish for just under a year and have been doing fairly well so far. I started with a 15 but tore that down and moved all fish into a 29 long back in October. It hasn't been quite as easy as I hoped.
Tank Specs: 29 Gallon Long
Amm=0
Nit=0
Nat=5-10
PH=7.5-7.8
50% weekly PWC
10 Neon Tetra
6 Rummynose Tetra
4 Panda Corydoras
1 Appistogramma Cacautoids
2 Mystery Snails
Moderately Planted

Here are my problems:

#1: Ich
My fish have had ich for nearly a whole month now. I've raised the temperature to about 88 and there's about 8 tablespoons of API aquarium salt in there. There hasn't been a vast improvement and I've lost some fish because of it. I Vaccume the gravel every WC. I really don't know what to do but I have to get of this thing.

#2: Dropsy
Just today I noticed one the neon tetras has what I'm pretty sure is dropsy. He is quite bloated and I think has slight pineconing near the bottom of his body. I don't know how I can help him. He is also breathing at much quicker rate. Sorry the sucky pic but its the best I can do right now.

#3: ???
Another one of my neon tetra has an alarmingly sunken belly and some sort of growth on the side of his mouth. I don't know what it is but I'm thinking bacterial. How should I act?

I would really appreciate and really need some help.

Attachments

• image-3289882041.jpg
    image-3289882041.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3530598736.jpg
    image-3530598736.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2421686333.jpg
    image-2421686333.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 98
Sometimes when it rains it pours. You are on the right track with the temperature. When in doubt up your water changes to every day or every other day. Everything is better with clean water. Sometimes nothing can be done when some fish are so sick. Personally I wouldn't start adding meds. I would just get the tank as healthy as possible.

Sometimes when it rains it pours. You are on the right track with the temperature. When in doubt up your water changes to every day or every other day. Everything is better with clean water. Sometimes nothing can be done when some fish are so sick. Personally I wouldn't start adding meds. I would just get the tank as healthy as possible.

i agree with this advice. adding chemicals to the tank should be your last resort. this is informative.
Ich

I have been trying to avoid adding chemicals as well. I am mainly trying to get advice on what is happening to the skinny tetra and what I can do for the dropsy tetra.

Tomorrow I plan to double the dose of salt to deal with the ich and maybe everything else.

The first thing you will want to check at this point is your thermometer. It isn't uncommon for them to be inaccurate by a few degrees so it would be a good thing to double check the temp with something else. Especially since the ich isn't going away.

Next I would look at feeding a metronidazole medicated food to take care of any internal issues there are assuming the fish are still eating.

As far as #2 and #3 go I would say their outlook is grim. It isn't common for a fish to recover from dropsy and the other one is soo skinny I don't think he will recover.

Plus Cories are scaleless fish...sensitive to salt AND meds. Careful. Too much salt can kill fish.
Usually with Cories I use 1/2 doses of Salt or meds if I have to.

Thanks for the responses!
I did check with a thermometer but since then its gotten a lot colder and the heater might not be keeping high enough temp. Good point.

I realize the pandas were so sensitive so I started with dosing at a quarter of the recommendation just to make sure they'd be ok with it. Should I get that up to half by tomorrow then? It's been 5 days since the salt was first added.

For the two tetras...can I just let them swim out their days, or is euthanization the course of action now?

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses!
I did check with a thermometer but since then its gotten a lot colder and the heater might not be keeping high enough temp. Good point.

I realize the pandas were so sensitive so I started with dosing at a quarter of the recommendation just to make sure they'd be ok with it. Should I get that up to half by tomorrow then? It's been 5 days since the salt was first added.

For the two tetras...can I just let them swim out their days, or is euthanization the course of action now?

Thanks!

That is up to you. If they are eating still there is a chance they could make it.

Back
Top Bottom