tank showing signs of illness but not sure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barakis

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi

sorry this is long, thanks for taking the time to read, i really need this clearing up as i dont know if i have a problem or not.

i have 11 neons 3 guppy and 2 molly in an 18 gal, perameters are ok (0-0-20-8.2)

all are feeding fine, and seem happy enough (apart from white molly)

i think i might have over fed, as even the neons look pregnant (i guessed bloated so they are now fasting for a while) other than that the neons and guppys are pretty normal.

the white molly is very eratic, actually almost swims into the glass to get away from its own reflection (looks like) and sits a lot of the time inside my tower sort of on the bottom of the tank.

the black molly is perfectly fine, except it does something very weird, every so often it will face directly up, and just sorta chill their for a short while.

both the mollies are my original fish and have both lived through ammonia and (i think) nitrite spikes.

since all this, the white molly has shiny patches under the black spots around her mouth and gills (salt n pepper) and almost gold looking specs on the shiny bits, she also has white shiny specs (ich like) on the rest of one side of the body.

the male now has a small case of the shiny/gold bits too. and the guppys have shiny bits around the mouth/gills, but no gold. i understand this might just be the color of the scales, to be honest i have only had the guppys a few weeks so might just not have noticed.

the white molly has had the shiny/gold as far as i can remember, so 4 months now maybe more, but i have never noticed it on the black one before.

finally, i recently changed my lighting from an arcadia 11w to an interpet LED daylight bar.

sorry this is long, i didnt know how else to explain as it doesnt show too well in photos. thanks once again for taking the time if you got to the end :)

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

hi

sorry this is long, thanks for taking the time to read, i really need this clearing up as i dont know if i have a problem or not.

i have 11 neons 3 guppy and 2 molly in an 18 gal, perameters are ok (0-0-20-8.2)

all are feeding fine, and seem happy enough (apart from white molly)

i think i might have over fed, as even the neons look pregnant (i guessed bloated so they are now fasting for a while) other than that the neons and guppys are pretty normal.

the white molly is very eratic, actually almost swims into the glass to get away from its own reflection (looks like) and sits a lot of the time inside my tower sort of on the bottom of the tank.

the black molly is perfectly fine, except it does something very weird, every so often it will face directly up, and just sorta chill their for a short while.

both the mollies are my original fish and have both lived through ammonia and (i think) nitrite spikes.

since all this, the white molly has shiny patches under the black spots around her mouth and gills (salt n pepper) and almost gold looking specs on the shiny bits, she also has white shiny specs (ich like) on the rest of one side of the body.

the male now has a small case of the shiny/gold bits too. and the guppys have shiny bits around the mouth/gills, but no gold. i understand this might just be the color of the scales, to be honest i have only had the guppys a few weeks so might just not have noticed.

the white molly has had the shiny/gold as far as i can remember, so 4 months now maybe more, but i have never noticed it on the black one before.

finally, i recently changed my lighting from an arcadia 11w to an interpet LED daylight bar.

sorry this is long, i didnt know how else to explain as it doesnt show too well in photos. thanks once again for taking the time if you got to the end :)

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

It maybe that you are just seeing scales differently as you have changed your light. Other wise, velvet disease may be a possibility as this causes gold dusting effects. Its a parasite and can be treated . Look up velvet on google and see if your fish have the symptoms.

Do you agree the erratic behaviour could be stress? Or could my fish just be a bit mental? All the guppys neons and plec are fine, just the mollies being a bit weird.

It could be that this fish is a bit skitish, easily frightened. I know my gouramis can go a bit nuts from time to time, then just stop , as if they just scared therselves.
I would just keep an eye onother fishes behaviour, look for signs of distress in other fish. Ive never had to deal with valvet but signs can be gold like spots like gold dust, flashing and darting around.

From what I can see velvet is spotty, almost like a gold version of ich. This looks more patchy.

Think I'll still take him along to my lfs on Saturday for some reassurance, but for now I am a little less panicked

Thanks a lot

From what I can see velvet is spotty, almost like a gold version of ich. This looks more patchy.

Think I'll still take him along to my lfs on Saturday for some reassurance, but for now I am a little less panicked

Thanks a lot

No probs yeah your Lfs is a good idea or let them see a photo if you can get a clear shot.

No probs yeah your Lfs is a good idea or let them see a photo if you can get a clear shot.

went to the lfs today, he seemed happy with him. no signs of illness. seems likely that the new light has made me see his natural colors, he cant see anything off. so thanks for all our help, just panicked a bit lol.

i did get some melafix, as i got some new guppys, and it helps them settle in, figured it wont do any harm to carry the treatment for the full 7 days just incase.

Barakis said:
went to the lfs today, he seemed happy with him. no signs of illness. seems likely that the new light has made me see his natural colors, he cant see anything off. so thanks for all our help, just panicked a bit lol.

i did get some melafix, as i got some new guppys, and it helps them settle in, figured it wont do any harm to carry the treatment for the full 7 days just incase.

Thats good news then! Yeah, i used to panic loads when i fish strarted fish keeping and was always looking stuff up in my fish books. I've calmed down now and learned as ive hone on. Melafix is also always in my cupboard, i tend to get my from Amazon. You can het a 480 ml bottle on there for round about the same price you would pay for one half the size at uour lfs! I put it in for the first 3 days when i get new fish. Its just such a great trestment IMO. Glad to know your fish is well and thanks for letting me know! :)

Back
Top Bottom