Tank wiped out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Didn't qt my new corys, now I'm facing the consequences. My fish developed a cotton looking fungus, and even after dosing with Melafix for 5 days, they're still dying. I only have 2 panda's and 5 neons left.

Should I be doing large pwc's during treatment?

Also, I removed most of my artificial plants so I could vacuum and clean the tank really good. I rinsed them in steaming (not boiling) water. Will they be safe to return to the tank once treatment is finished, or will they recontaminate the tank?

I've never dealt with this before and I'm not sure how to fix it. The spots were on the fins and bodies of the fish. Oddly, the corys didn't have the cotton looking spots at all, but they had reddness around their gills when they died. My parameters were amm-0, trite-0, trate <5. Should I use more/different meds?

Now, I'm not getting any detectable nitrate reading at all. I removed my carbon before I started the treatment, but surely that didn't remove too much BB (if BB even grows on carbon).

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I know that the members here can help.

Id say the water changes are more important than treating with medication. Id do both.

If its just a simple fungus, then water changes and something like melafix should work. If its something else, you may need to change to a different medication.

Have you ruled out columnaris? Im always paranoid about that one.

Columnaris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have to second the possibility of columnaris. What are your tanks water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Fungus is slow-growing & would not kill this quickly. Just my opinion, but i feel melafix is the equivalent of snake oil & its really only of use with minor problems that healthy water would fix anyway. Columnaris is a gram-negative bacterial infection & needs to be treated with an appropriate antibiotic-kanamycin would be my first choice, minocycline would be my second choice. If your amm/nitrite are anything above zero, yes, you should be doing pwcs. Try to keep their water as healthy as possible. Hope this helps!

I checked out the link, and I'm afraid that is exactly what I have. I will get the recommended antibiotics and dose asap.

Since this is so contagious, how do I disinfect my net and vacuum siphon? I'm not sure what kind of solution would kill bacteria and not be harmful. Will it be safe to return my decor to the tank after treatment?

Also, since I've lost fish and failed to treat correctly for the last several days, is it just a matter of time before I lose my remaining fish?

Do you have other tanks that you may pass this to? If so, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly between tanks & disinfect anything from the sick tank before using it in another tank. I would soak anything contaminated in a solution of bleach & water then rinse well (ie nets, grav vac, buckets). We can hope your remaining fish will recover with meds & healthy water- i wish you good luck!! If you dont have a qt tank for future fish, you can set up a cheap one with a filter, an airstone, & a plastic storage bin ($10 at walmart)or cheap used tank (craigslist has some super cheap deals). Good luck!!!!

When my tank had columnaris, I immediately culled the two symptomatic fish, did a 50% water change, scrubbed the interior walls of the tank with an algae scrubber, refilled the tank and dosed at half-recommended dose aquarium salt. I had no issues after that.

Columnaris is so highly contagious that sometimes it calls for drastic measures. I culled the two fish for the good of the entire tank and it worked.

Good luck!

When my tank had columnaris, I immediately culled the two symptomatic fish, did a 50% water change, scrubbed the interior walls of the tank with an algae scrubber, refilled the tank and dosed at half-recommended dose aquarium salt. I had no issues after that.

Columnaris is so highly contagious that sometimes it calls for drastic measures. I culled the two fish for the good of the entire tank and it worked.

Good luck!

Thanks for responding. Right now none of the remaining fish are showing any outward signs of disease, but my corys aren't moving much or eating. My neons are eating. I did a 50% wc Sunday, but I didn't scrub. Can columnaris live on inanimate objects like artificial plants and dw? My piece of dw is too large to boil, and my plants are silk. I soaked my plants in hot tap water and I'm letting them dry out.

I will do as you did and scrub the tank and do a large pwc. I just don't want to recontaminate with my decor.

I've used the cold water method to euthanize fish that were nearly dead and suffering from being stuck to the intake tube during the night. It worked almost instantly. I made sure it wasn't freezing with ice crystals, but cold enough to shock. Is this the best method or do you do something else?

Well, I did that wrong apparently. I had read that water with ice would cause extreme pain, but this article says the water should be icy. I had to do this method with my cory and my angel, and they both died almost instantly in the cold water. But, I'll make sure it's right at the freezing stage if I have to do it again.

Have you ever used clove oil? I read about it and it appears to be effective in sedating fish.

I am still treating for the mystery disease, and I just finished testing. Everything was zero. No nitrates at all. Plus, my water is cloudy. How could I be starting over? I had a good nitrate reading before.

I'm talking to other fellow fishkeeper friends and they are making fun of me for testing so often and doing weekly water changes (this was before my tank was infected). I was told that since I've been doing weekly pwc's that my tank was not really cycled, and I could expect an ammonia spike if I stop doing pwc's.
I would love to argue my point with them, but both of them have raised fish successfully, and have multiple tanks. One of them have raised angels and currently have mature, beautiful angels that they've had for years. I'm just so frustrated and confused right now.

It's amazing how this hobby can bring such happiness one day and make you want to scream and pull out your hair the next. I'm totally addicted.

I haven't had any more deaths, so that leaves me at 5 neons and 2 panda cories. I scrubbed the tank and did a huge pwc, and the remaining fish seem fine. I'll wait a while before introducing any new fish.

A friend of a coworker sold me a 29g with hood and marineland 200 hob for $30. So I'm feeling like a kid at Christmas right now...dreaming of a stocking plan.

I was afraid of this, I plugged up the filter that came with the tank and there was a very noticable rattle in the impeller housing. From the looks of it I think sand might be the culprit. I took everything apart and rinsed, but it didn't help the noise. I've never fixed a filter before and I'm wondering if it would even be worth any expense. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's a marineland 200.

I'm not too disappointed..the tank and hood alone was still a good deal, but it would be nice to have another filter.

Ikes!!! I know you can buy new impellers assemblies for most types of filters- check out amazon. They run @$15. This is assuming this is the problem not something with the motor itself. If its the motor, then you might as well buy a new filter. Good luck & Merry Christmas!! :)

Ikes!!! I know you can buy new impellers assemblies for most types of filters- check out amazon. They run @$15. This is assuming this is the problem not something with the motor itself. If its the motor, then you might as well buy a new filter. Good luck & Merry Christmas!! :)

Probably get a new one...Merry Christmas to you also!

Reygan2 said:
I am still treating for the mystery disease, and I just finished testing. Everything was zero. No nitrates at all. Plus, my water is cloudy. How could I be starting over? I had a good nitrate reading before.

I'm talking to other fellow fishkeeper friends and they are making fun of me for testing so often and doing weekly water changes (this was before my tank was infected). I was told that since I've been doing weekly pwc's that my tank was not really cycled, and I could expect an ammonia spike if I stop doing pwc's.
I would love to argue my point with them, but both of them have raised fish successfully, and have multiple tanks. One of them have raised angels and currently have mature, beautiful angels that they've had for years. I'm just so frustrated and confused right now.

I do understand your point here.
It is common to know people who keep fish tank with minimum maintenance, such as PWC, test, gravel vacuum, yet they are happy and their fish are alive. Which goes against everything that I learned in this forum...

On the other hand, for me the PWC, vacuum gravel, testing, etc has worked really good... So hard to tell......

I would invest in an Aqua Clear if you decide to buy a new filter.

Most definately!! I love my AC 70. I don't use the carbon bag in mine anymore, I just stuffed more media under the bag of little cylinders. My only minor complaint is that the top makes some noise. Other than that I'm happy. I'm also running a marineland on this tank, and although it seems to work well, I won't buy another one. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a working spare filter. I think the one that came with the tank is shot.

I do understand your point here.
It is common to know people who keep fish tank with minimum maintenance, such as PWC, test, gravel vacuum, yet they are happy and their fish are alive. Which goes against everything that I learned in this forum...

On the other hand, for me the PWC, vacuum gravel, testing, etc has worked really good... So hard to tell......

While my friend continues to be amused at my vigilance, it occured to me that she told me a while back that she couldn't keep certain species alive...such as cories. Perhaps her angels have adjusted?? Idk, but I believe what I learned here..nothing takes the place of fresh, clean water.

Update...added 3 panda cories, everyone is fine. Params are amm0, trite0, trate5, ph is a little lower @ 7.2ish, which is concerning bc pwc's will bring it up temporarily. I think the dw is reducing it over time.

Anyway, going to get my angel today. My nearest lfs is getting a shipment of older, more mature stock, so wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom