Tear in platy's tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I noticed recently that my sunset fire wag platy's tail fin was torn. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a way to treat this?

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
NitrItes: 0
NitrAtes: 50 (I know that this is really high, but I have been working to lower that)
pH: 8.2
GH: >300 (I know it's high, but our water is super hard and that's what my LFS keeps them at)
KH: 120-180

The tank is a 23 gallon, fully cycled. It has been up and running for 3 months.

I am using a national geographic internal filter rated for thirty gallons, an a DIY sponge filter.

Stock list:
• 16 neon tetras
• 4 zebra danios
• 8 platys (2 males, 6 females)
• 1 female swordtail
• 1 oto
• lots of anarachis
• 1 anubias
• lots of ramshorn snails

Last gravel vac/pwc: Sat., Sept. 6; ~25%

Pwc schedule: was 25% every wed. Nitrates got too high so now I'm doing same qty every 4 days.

I have had the Platy almost since I started the tank 3 months ago.

Most recent addition: oto, 2 weeks ago.

I feed alternating flake and pellet food with occasional freeze dried blood worms or brine shrimp.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410305161.782774.jpg

Thank you!
-Laird

Provided it is merely a random tear, something like melafix or stress-zyme will help heal it. Also make,sure the water,is good quality,so there is no infection.

By the way, is the fish. Underneath it pregnant? Or is it pineconing which may indicate a bigger issue overall.

Does it look pregnant? I have been wondering... I think so but it's been like that for a month and a half. I could be wrong, but I thought platys gestation period was only a month. Also, thanks for the suggestion, I already use stress zyme and stress coat. Also aq salt. Does the salt help, hurt, or not matter? I will look into melafix. Thanks!

I know the tank is overstocked, so I increased the pwc schedule change. Impulse buys... I'm hoping to set up a new tank soon. Maybe I'll transfer some of these guys.

Oh. In that picture the wag Platy looks like a male, but her anal fin is just really tucked in in that picture.

View attachment 249605

The one that Novice was asking about was

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410310208.684197.jpg

also a female. That's at least from what I've heard, that when the anal fin is spread out, then it is a female, and when it looks bunched together, it is a male. I could be wrong, and if so, I would like to know how to sex platys, because I'm trying to maintain a good 1:3 ratio male to female. Thank you for your reply!

Ok. That's what I thought. Thanks!

Better start that new tank! She looks like she is going to give birth any second. Are you prepared - I mean do you know what you will do? Some people let them have their fry (babies) in the same tank and let nature take its course whether or not any survive. Others put the mother in a breeding tank or net and then separate the mom from the babies and raise the fry.

The first time mine gave birth, I had no idea she was pregnant and was busy taking 100 pictures trying to get a good shot to post and ask what was wrong. She was darting all over the place. I got too concerned and transferred her into my then QT tank (now baby nursery) to medicate her. I also thought she might be constipated. When I put her into the tank, it looked like she was getting less constipated, but, turned out I got to see her give birth - and then furiously went "fishing" to get the babies away from the mom.

The breeding tank stays in the main tank and is a small clear container that has space at the bottom for the fry to drop into and the mom cannot get there.

I am really interested in hearing how soon she gives birth. Keep us posted!

I have been aware that she is pregnant for a while, and have decided to let nature take its course. I got a few anarachis to see if that will help save maybe a few. I don't really have the means to keep them at this point. I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom