Temp kill ick??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theusedmyr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i would like to know, hopefully from experience, if raising the temperature to 86+ is enough to kill ick? i have shrimp in my tank so im worried about using meds. ive read that at 86 degrees, the temp can kill the ick.
is this true? has anyone achieved this?

I can't speak from prior experience, but I've been reading about this non-stop for the last three days because I have the same problem, so here is what I have found.

Heating a tank to 86 degrees F will kill most instances of ICH. There are two failure cases you have to watch out for:
1) Some ICH have mutated to withstand temperatures as high as 92 degrees. This is extremely unlikely, but not unheard of.
2) Thermometers are not always calibrated correctly. If they overstate the temperature, you will make things a lot worse by heating it to an 86 degree reading. For instance, if 86 degrees is actually 84 degrees, you will bring the tank to the temperature at which ICH thrives the most but does not get killed.

Based on recommendations here and elsewhere, I have raised the temperature of my tank to a reading of 90/91 degrees. Water is oxygenated via lower water level with power filter head to create surface tension. I have two platys, two ottos and two ghost shrimp. Be sure to raise the water temperature very gradually so that you can stop if the fish show signs of distress. My fish have actually been more active since I raised it.

Adding salt to your aquarium can also help kill ICH in certain stages (1 tbsp/5 gallons), but it can harm plants and scaleless fish so be sure to read up on that before adding any.

Good luck.

okay, thats basicly what ive read also. i didnt know of the mutation, and didnt think of the calibration. my heaters at around 87-88 reading. i did increase slowly and like you said, fish have been more active, and look a bit healthier/happier.
i cant use salt as i have a planted tank :-(. i think ill raise the temp a bit more so that if it is calibrated wrong it will still be above 86 degrees.
i also have power filter so i should be fine. ive also lowered the water level.

Back
Top Bottom