Temperature Shock Endler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I did a 20 % wc in my 10 gallon today, and I used a gallon of dechlorinated water that I didn't realize was much colder than the tank, by 10 degrees. I was already pouring it in when I realized the temp difference.:( the fish always swarm around the new water, and I think this guy might have been hit by the cold water.

I noticed that one of the fish, a male chili endler was acting odd, sinking toward the bottom and unable to get up. I moved him to the 5 gallon hospital tank this morning. He's still sitting unmoving at the bottom. Is it possible he got shocked from the cold temperature ? I'm starting to think this was a bad idea and shocked him even more.

The ten gallon has been set up for about 2 years now, and is lightly planted with only endlers and fry. The temperature stays at a steady 79° and gets 20 or 25%pwc a week with gravel vacuum. All fish have been acting normally before this, and the others still are their usual selves. Has anybody experienced an thing like this, and how can I help my fish recover??

Thanks for your help.

I doubt it was the temp change. He could be old. Just imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I doubt it was the temp change. He could be old. Just imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree. I have dumped guppies and endlers from heated tanks directly into unheated tanks because they were sick or fighting with others, and they lived just fine.
20% is really not that much of a PWC, even if it was cold water.

Thanks, so should I move him back into the main tank? How old do endlers get? I think this guy is a little over two years old.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

wild guppies and endlers can live up to 3 years if kept in ideal conditions. Fancies about 2 at most.

Thanks, so should I move him back into the main tank? How old do endlers get? I think this guy is a little over two years old.

I'd leave him in hospital and keep a watch on him just to see if anything pops up.

Brenna

Agreed with everyone else; I've changed my tanks by as much as 5 degrees at a time without incident. Mathematically you only changed your tank temperature by 2 degrees, that's nothing.

He's not looking good, still acting like he's paralyzed. I've seen him move his tail though. I tried giving him a salt bath, but this didn't seem to help. I'm afraid to move him back to the main tank because he might get picked on

He's not looking good, still acting like he's paralyzed. I've seen him move his tail though. I tried giving him a salt bath, but this didn't seem to help. I'm afraid to move him back to the main tank because he might get picked on

He will be picked on. Please keep him in hospital.

Brenna

Should I euthanize? It's really sad to see him just wiggling at the bottom, but I don't want to kill a fish I could have saved :(

Should I euthanize? It's really sad to see him just wiggling at the bottom, but I don't want to kill a fish I could have saved :(

I'd wait a bit. Can you post pics for us?

Brenna

I found him dead :( thanks for the help though

Back
Top Bottom