Temperature spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justinkramp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I recently bought a heater for my aquarium since it was at a max of 68 degrees and min of 65 and Variated between these temperatures during the day and I figured that was not warm enough for my fish. So I installed the heater and it heated the tank to 80 degrees. Once I realized where it was at I cranked it down (despite setting it to 72) and ever since that temperature spike, my danios have been swimming at the surface, gasping for air and my other fish and some danios are laying on or floating over the bottom not moving very much. Did I put them into a form of shock or something and will they recover? Yesterday they were all at the surface gasping for air, today they are mostly laying and hovering on the bottom with just three fish at the surface. My plecos are doing fine and so are my neon tetras, though one passed away yesterday.

Thanks all

Invest in a temperature controller , the thermostats in most heaters have a pretty good swing between ON and OFF. I bought some from the big online auction site for under 10 dollars and wired them into an extension cord and they are one of the best things I have done, my temperature only varies by about 1/2 degree now and allows me to run two inline heaters on my 90 gallon at the same time; almost impossible to get them to cycle properly without one.

Hope your fish get back to normal

I forgot to mention I did a 50% water change past Saturday and another 50% yesterday and my values are all fine

Back
Top Bottom