Tetra fungus guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildone

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I use tetra fungus guard in my tank with my pictus cats, blood parrots and Angel fish?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry my gourami fish has cotton stuff on his gill plate, I'm guessing it's fungus, no other fish is sick, all parameters are good temp is 79 ,55 gallon tank, been up for over a year with no real issues.

yeah that should be fine. IMO the best method would be to quarantine the gourami in another tank and use the meds in both tanks just to be sure.

Thank you Istrom, I don't have a hospital tank though :-( should I do a water change and then put the meds in?

Can I use tetra fungus guard in my tank with my pictus cats, blood parrots and Angel fish?

You need to be very careful of what Tetra Fungus Guard's medications are regarding your pictus cats. They do not handle dyes or metals in medications very well. A clear antibiotic such as erythromycin or Kanamycin, etc would be a better choice if you have to treat all the fish in the main tank over meds such as nitrofurazone or tetracycline, etc. Be aware tho that these meds will play havoc on your biological filter so you will need to keep an eye on your ammonia level for a bit after you stop medicating as well as during the medicating period. (This is why medicating in a separate hospital tank is always the preferred method of treating fish.) Another option would be to take the pictus out and keep them in a separate tank or even a heated bucket while using the other meds then after removing the meds through water changes and carbon/ filter pads, return the cats to the tank. Again, most antibiotics will retard the biological filter.

Hope this helps (y)

Andy great info, I think he got this fungus from being under stress, my Angel and 1 parrot started to chase him almost on a constant basis. I got to the point where I turned the lights off just to calm then down enough to leave the poor guy alone, then 2 days ago I noticed the white cotton spot, poor fella. Thanx again. Xxxx fingers

Back
Top Bottom