Tetra fungus guard and filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyrionsbeard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I am new to this, so please bear with me.

So I have had a tank for about 6 month with goldfish in, after researching and getting used to cycles etc, my fish were doing well. I have a plec (Gary), red and white oranda (Rainbow Peach), black and orange fantail (Stripes) and a black moor goldfish (Hoggle).
Anyway, I went away for 2 weeks with a friend looking after the tank. I came back and the black Stripes had apparently just died the day before and had been replaced with an orange fantail (so my children wouldn't notice and get upset). My friend said they did water changes, I am not convinced. Rainbow peach was looking pretty slimey and looked like it had fin rot, while Hoggle seemed a bit lazy, slimey and not happy.

I immediately did a 50% water change, then a further 20% change today.

I went and bought a testing kit. pH 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrate may be just above zero (no where near the colour for 0.25ppm) and nitrate 20ppm. So as far as I am aware, these are good numbers. Whilst getting the testing kit, I was talking to the woman in the shop (privately owned) and she said that Tetra fungus guard and aquarium salt would help. She advised 3 tablets of the fungus guard straight into my 36 gallon tank. So I have done that.

But here is my question, I've searched, but can't find the answer anywhere. I have an aquaclear 50 filter, I have turned it off while i had the fungus guard dissolving. But how long should I leave it off for? I don't have the activated carbon insert, but the ammonia remover insert. I just don't know when to put the filter back on.

I hope I have made sense here!!!
Thanks in advance:fish2:

oh yeah, and is there anything else I can do? Any more water changes or should i wait til i have finished the fungus guard treatment?

I believe, though not absolutely sure, but the filter should be on, otherwise you can destroy the beneficial bacterial. I would never turn off the filter, only remove carbon inserts if medicating.

Thank you for the quick reply.
I'll get my filter back on.

So, when doing water changes etc, I should always leave the filter on? Only if i need to medicate, and have the active carbon insert?

Remove carbon on filters anytime you are adding medication, otherwise it will negate the he medication. Keep it going for 4 days....If no positive results, then do a water change and dose again.
You can get in touch with customer service at
PHGAmazon@spectrumbrands.com if you have any further questions.

Interesting user name . . .

Anyway, yes, your filter should be on so your bacteria has a supply of oxegenated water to keep it active. Matthew C is correct that you should remove carbon while meds are in the tank. I actually don't use carbon in my filters unless I'm removing excess ammonia, meds, etc. It really isn't necessary in a well-maintained tank. Your water changes should have cleared everything up in a matter of days without the fungus guard. Salt is something else I rarely use; it's something else that usually isn't needed. 90% of issues you can have with your water can be fixed with large water changes. Always use water changes as your go-to fix, and only add chemicals, treatments, etc when water changes fail. Your fish will thank you for it.

Lol. Thanks. Big Game of Thrones fan!
Just an update, Rainbow Peach is looking much happier and healthier. Swimming and eating again!

Happy to see him swimming about and not at the bottom of the tank!

Attachments

• 1491195678644.jpg
    1491195678644.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom