Tetra has hump back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
WHen I got this tank I was so worried about getting the water right. Now with all that behind me, I had 5 tetras. One got humpback and severe trouble with balance. It died. That was 3 wks ago. Now another tetra is the same way. I read something about tetra disease? How long do tetras live? All the others are ok for now. I watch my water like a hawk its always in range Please help.

Tetra disease?????

I came home to find #2 passed?Anybody got any ideas? I was thinking about changing the pea rock for gravel or will it mess up my water to much? I wanted a different color anyway

What are your water parameters?

Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
pH?
Temp?

These parameters may tell us something.

Are you using API MASTER TEST KIT?

Or are you using strips?

Do you have any way to test your water?

Jon

What kind of tetra is this? There is Neon Tetra disease...

The "humpback" could be fish TB... I had a guppy with it a long time ago. Not very common however.

The problem staying upright could be swim bladder, which I've never had any luck curing (tried peas, etc).

Sorry to hear about your loss, sounds like you did everything you could.

Mover to Freshwater - Unhealthy Fish.

Tetras should be able to live 3-4 years without a problem. But, there is some variability to that. Bent spines can be from stunted growth or some several diseases. In addition to the diseases already mentioned, there is also something called False Neon Tetra Disease. It causes bent spines, is easier to treat than NTD and seems to be more common IME.
If possible, pictures would help. Knowing the parameters and a brief tank history would also help with a diagnosis. IMO, if it's treatable, heavy antibiotics like Furan are likely your best chance of saving them. In the meantime, doing a few extra pwc's can make a big difference when combating fish illnesses as well.

Humpback

What are your water parameters?

Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
pH?
Temp?

These parameters may tell us something.

Are you using API MASTER TEST KIT?

Or are you using strips?

Do you have any way to test your water?

Jon
Jon,
Amm-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5
PH- 7.0
Temp 74-76
I do use an API test kit. I have 3 tetras left. They were just fine one min then I notice in eve hump back. Only in them?

They are striped tetra. They become humped back then bam in a day or two gone? I don't think the other community fish are effected.

Thanks for everyone's help. I know these message boards are a great thing. I use them for my birds as well.

image-2373797368.jpg

This is them I have 3 left. They eat and swim?

Those are zebra danios, not tetras. I've never kept them so I'm not too familiar with them.. I'll let someone else chime in..

Oh I was told tetra, thank you for clarifying that. They came with the tank. I've been doing fine until this?

I have 7 Zebra Danios in a 50g community.

My levels are
Amm-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
pH 7.2
Temp 25C approx 77F ( I think)

Not had one die. They are really hardy fish!!!!

How does their poop look?

Any blood streaks around their anal fin?

Along their spines are there any sticking up scales? Like a pine cone?

Jon

Actually I noticed one of my zebras looks kinda hunch backed too but I am positive she is gravid. Idk if that has anything to do with it but other than that she seems just fine

No nothing sticking out. I have not seen their poop. What should I be looking for and I will try and see it. Today the 3 of them seem happy they ate, I'm still Leary because this is how the other two went fine until a straight drop. I did a 75% change. All levels are good. You think this will help? I hope so. I hate to see any animal suffer! I love my tank. It gives me peace by watching it!

As for their poop.

If there are any white stringy poop coming from any of them then there could be an internal parasite problem.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom