tetra unusual behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trogon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon fw tank. All water chemistry is within acceptable parameters, ph 6.4 to 6.6, 78 degrees F, planted, CO2 injection, Marineland 360 filter, three 40w fluorescent bulbs, two daylight and one grow light, two of the bulbs are illuminated for 10 hours, all three for 12 hours. Tank has been set up for 5 months. No recent disease problems. Population includes 10 neon tetras, four long-fin tetras, five red-finned tetras, five lemon tetras, two algae eating catfish, one long-finned rosy barb (had two, one died recently with no outward signs of disease or unusual behavior-I recently became aware that the water temp is too high for this species), two giant sail-fin mollies, three dwarf gouramis. I change 22-25 gallons of water every three weeks or so, using distilled or rain water. Two of the lemon tetras are having difficulty maintaining a constant position. They have a slightly heads up posture and constantly pump their tails, apparently to keep from sinking. The do eat and otherwise seem normal. I have had these fish for several months and have not had any new introductions for two months or more. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

You should be doing more water changes. Most of us on here do a 25-50% pwc every week. Be careful with using distilled water, since it lacks the nutrients that fish need.
You can try feeding boiled, shelled peas. They are a laxative for fish, and it sounds like yours might have a swim bladder problem. Feed only the peas, and then fast for a day. The peas are fine for the other fish too, I feed mine peas once a week as a preventative.

Destilled water

I agree with Darby, last year I was using destilled water for water changes, and the ph was always really low in my tank, but the worstnthat the fish got super stress duento the lack of saltsnin the water.
As a result they become too susceptible to all kind of illness, I lost a lot good buddies.
Since then when I re started my tank, I'm using tap water treated with Prime and no problems so far with illness.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The suggestion regarding feeding boiled peas is interesting. Do you use canned green peas as purchased from the grocer?

I failed to mention that I dose with Flourish Excel and Flourine-FE on alternate days in amounts suggested by the manufacturer. I presume trace minerals from these products may be available to the fish.

I have read that adding salt to the tank is advantageous to fish but detrimental to plants. I had a problem with a variety of red algae and followed advice obtained from this forum to increase the amount of CO2. This apparently helped reduce the algae but lowered the ph from neutral to 6.4 to 6.6 range. It also induced more rapid plant growth, to the point that I now have to do regular pruning. The plants are mostly varieties of Echinodorus.

I use distilled water or rain water to avoid the mineral deposits that occur when tap water evaporates.

Thanks again.

I buy frozen peas and use those. I don't give my fish anything canned, since who knows what kind of preservatives they have put in there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom