Tetra with lockjaw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of the tetras in my 20 gallon has what looks likea form of lockjaw. His mouth looks like it's stuck open - he is still active, still eats and still schools with the other tetras.

No other symptoms - water levels - well, I noticed this before we moved the tank from my parents house to my house, so as of right now water levels are off because there's new water in there.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

I have heard of this in oscars and other large cichlids, but not in a tetra!

What they recommend for the big fish is to actually try to close the mouth yourself, gently, but I don't know if you could do that with a small fish. How bizarre! :?

I have seen this several times. I do not know what the cause is, but I can say it is usually followed with a parasite infection within days. I would keep a very close eye on the fins of your fish. Be prepared to medicate.

Personally, I always look out for the good of the many vs. the good of the single fish. For an inexpensive single sick fish, I believe in disposal. I would put the fish in a zip lock bag of aquarium water & put the bag in my freezer. The fish "falls asleep."

Back
Top Bottom