tetra's dieing - help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsotmoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello, over the last three days i have had two tetras die, one black tailed, one tiger striped, today one of my bleeding hearts is swimming all funny, upside down, twirling in circles
temp is 76, the aquarium is established for 4-5 years, all the fish are at least 2-3 years old, i checked amonia, nitrate and ph (7.0) with my hagens test kits, everything looks great, ammonia is at 0, i havent done anything or added fish recently, except change the filters about a week ago

i have had a fish die here and there but never 3 different kinds in a week, i am attaching a pic of him the closest i could get

2093a49b5d.jpg

Attachments

• bhtetra.jpg
    bhtetra.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 29
Hmmm...not really sure cause you've had the fish for so long and haven't added anything new to the tank. But it does sound like something contagious like neon tetra disease or some type of virus. Swim Bladder disease by itself isn't generally contagious I don't think so it's got to be something else. If its neon tetra disease there really isn't a cure. You're just supposed to remove affected fish from the tank right away.

But it seems your fish are being taken down fast.....

Hopefully someone else will have better answers for ya...

Meanwhile do lots of pwc cause in my opinion that always helps and can never hurt.

You said ammonia was 0, was nitrite 0 as well? And what about nitrates?

IMO, sounds like an internal bacterial infection. The swim bladder can be infected if/when the infection gets near it, or infects it.

How often do you change your water? What size tank is it, and how many fish are in it?

I would get some broad spectrum antibiotics(maracyn, maracyn 2, kanacyn, etc) for the fish to help treat the infection. Sadly however, it's often not curable. Keep up on partial water changes to keep your water top notch.

Back
Top Bottom