Tetras Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quitters

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well im pretty sure i have the water chemistry sorted out, but i have a gold tetra who is not looking healthy at all, there are no spots but its extremely skinny, it was hiding for a long time so i couldnt see how bad it was but it came out today and looks like a starving fish. i feed my fish a generous amount of food once every two days, a mix of freeeze dried blood worms, brine shimp and tropical flakes.

it doesnt seem to be getting bulied at all but it cant keep its food down, it tried to eat a small piece and kept spitting it out and trying to eat it again when the other fish were eating heaps.

is there a deseise that results in a fish not being able to eat?

here are my tank details:

29 gallon, planted, 1 hagen co2 yeast based system.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20 or under
Phosphate- 0.7
ph- 7.4
kh-4 .5 dkh

11 gold tetras
1 neon dwarf gourami
5 guppies
1 hillstream loach
snails

only other thing worth noting is that i lowered the temp of the tank a week ago from 82 to 77 for the hillstream loach.

also about a week after adding 12 gold tetras i found one dead on the bottom, looking otherwise healthy, i put this down to general stress of transport and perhaps change in kh

edit: oh i forgot to add that it looks like its gasping for air, no other fish is gasping at all but i still increased surface aggitation a bit

any help would be much appreciated thanks

Are there any other like discolorations,abnormalities, or a change in behavior other than gasping for air and looking really skinny?

It's hard to tell. My advice would be to QT him from the other fish and perhaps treat with an antiparasite medication such as Jungle Fungus Clear Tablets. The skinny look may point to a parasitic infection. It may also point to an bacterial infection as well. Internal infections are very hard to pin down. I'd try the Jungle Med asap. If you see no improvement and the fish makes it that long, I'd treat with an antibiotic such as Maracyn 2.

HTH

I have looked over the desiese sites in the sticky threat and its showing none of those symptoms, here are some photos

I think i will quarantine him then, but i havnt put the QT tank sponges back in the filter for colonisation do u know how long it would take for the bacteria to occupy the sponges enough to be fully colonised?

thanks

oh and yeh ive never understood, if medication kills good bacteria whats the point of cycling a qt tank when using medication>?

Attachments

• normal_511.jpg
    normal_511.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 18
  • skinny_842.jpg
    skinny_842.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 20
  • compare3_457.jpg
    compare3_457.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 30
Does the mouth area look normal? Does it seem discolored or somewhat rotting away at all?

oh and yeh ive never understood, if medication kills good bacteria whats the point of cycling a qt tank when using medication>?
There isn't one, which is why many just do daily PWC ;) You want a QT tank for incoming fish to be cycled, but not a hospital tank.

Back
Top Bottom