tetras swimming vertically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have a 20 gal tank and my neons and serpae tetras are all swimming vertically. Its not just one of them... its all of them. They goto the top of the tank and just sort of dangle veritcally...

this is weird. anyone know the cause of this?

Did you check the temperature of the water in your tank?
If its not the temp-
Is there enough aeration in the tank (either from the surface of the water or an airstone)?
If its not that-
Did you check the ammonia of your tank?

When my fish do that, its either the water is too hot or they aren't getting enough air

Lyquidphyre is right, I had this happen when I forgot to plug 1 filter back in and the other was on half flow... Best give a PWC of 25% right now (don't wait), my fish were doing it for about 30 mins and I lost a Bala shark, and 2 other fish.

Then start looking for the cause, test your water, check for a film on the surface, add an airstone.. anything you can think might be a cause.

Definatly add an airstone ASAP for both temperature problems or suffocation.

If its temperature- throw in as many ice cubes as you can and do a PWC with cold, cold water.

hey

my ammonia is 0.5 not quite sure about nitrites right now.. I already have an airstone, and the temp is around 79 :?:

I would do a pwc as soon as you are able, your nitrites may be quite high. How long has your tank been set up?

Back
Top Bottom