the dreaded ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never lost a cycle to the heat treatment, nor did I ever lose any fish. Fish can adapt to changes in temp as long as those changes are gradual.

Well, I can't use most of meds I've checked out because they stain. I have white gravel and silk plants. I don't have a problem with removing my plants but I'm afraid that would further stress my fish. My DG has cleared up but I've noticed a couple of spots on one of my black tetras. Everybody seems fine so far on day 2 of 86+, even the cory's. I hope they make it through 12 more days in the heat. Has anyone else reading this had success using heat, or should I add salt too?

salt will help - remove the plants! maybe even the gravel. do an experiement and take some of the gravel out and put it in a small tank or bucket and add the meds as directed for the gallonage and see if it really stains the rocks. Malachite green will stain the silicone seal on tanks, but IME this fades over time.

salt will help - remove the plants! maybe even the gravel. do an experiement and take some of the gravel out and put it in a small tank or bucket and add the meds as directed for the gallonage and see if it really stains the rocks. Malachite green will stain the silicone seal on tanks, but IME this fades over time.

So in your opinion the heat only method isn't effective?

I'm thinking that the experts on this forum endorse the sticky on ich treatment, and the 86 degree treatment is listed as a remedy. Could someone please tell me if it works?

Reygan2 said:
I'm thinking that the experts on this forum endorse the sticky on ich treatment, and the 86 degree treatment is listed as a remedy. Could someone please tell me if it works?

Yes, it does. Heater/salt works.

I know tons of fishkeepers who have reported that the heat (with or without salt) treatment works just fine.

Saved my gold nugget pleco who had ich a 2 weeks ago.. He had it really bad, covered in spots all over.. He stuck himself to the top of the tank and was breathing very rapidly.. I used an extra bubbler and raised the temp to 86 degrees.. I then used ich-x for about 5 days, i didnt see a change.. I was doing gravel vacuums and water changes daily.. Then one morning i went to work and he was the same as he was, came home about 9 hrs later and he had no spots they dropped off into the water so i continued treating for another week.. All is well now..

I know tons of fishkeepers who have reported that the heat (with or without salt) treatment works just fine.

That is very comforting news because from what I have researched salt can be harmful to cory's. So I am going to vacuum today and stop adding salt. Day 3:popcorn:

The heat & salt method I have used and will continue to use is basically lined out here...

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

Just remember to stick to the method and don't give up early especially when all appears to be fine.
that's good advice - ich is "contagious" when the swarmers are out and about - and you can't see them. While in the cysts, they're maturing.

I just returned home from work and the piece of crap heater I bought doesn't seem to be able to do the job of keeping the tank at or above 86. I'm so angry. It's been doing fine until now. It looks like the temp is right at 85 right now. Will I have to start over? I have no one to blame but myself...just tried to save a couple of bucks and bought a Cascade 150 watt. It's for up to 30 gallons, so I don't know what the problem is. I've got it cranked as high as it will go. The room it's in is around 75 degrees. I guess I need to purchase a bigger/better heater.

Thanks for the great links, they've been so much help.

Agreed. 85 is fine.

Just make certain it doesn't drop any lower.

I'd go buy a second, more reliable, heater ASAP.

It's been many years since my last ich outbreak. But "way back then", I used low-dose salt and 87 degree heat. After a few days at this temp, ich cleared up. I kept temp up for a couple of weeks the. Dropped temp back to the 83 I kept it at all the time and never had another case. I have heard if you keep your tank above 82, ich becomes pretty rare. YMMV

I'm thinking that once I fill out my schools I won't be introducing any diseases. I'm still looking for a small, dependable lfs hidden somewhere near where I live. I found one in the next county, but she doesn't carry much variety at all. Maybe she would consider special ordering something specific for me.

Oh yeah, it occurred to me last night to cover the AC vent in my room, and this morning the temp was at 87. The ich already seems to be gone, I can't see it on any one, but I'm going to keep the temp up for at least another week. The tank level is lower and the water falling from the HOB's is so loud everyone in the house can hear it, but I have to make sure my little guys have enough oxygen. I'll be glad when I can get things back to normal:fish2:

Reygan2 said:
I'm thinking that once I fill out my schools I won't be introducing any diseases. I'm still looking for a small, dependable lfs hidden somewhere near where I live. I found one in the next county, but she doesn't carry much variety at all. Maybe she would consider special ordering something specific for me.

Have you tried shopping online? The online fish stores where I live are brilliant and always have high quality fish. They always seem to have what the LFS doesn't and more.

Once you wipe out the ich, you will not get it again, unless you reintroduce it, regardless of what temp you keep the tank at. I have tanks that fluctuate between 66F and 75F and no ich. It has been close to 20 years since I last had ich.
I always used malachite green to cure ich, and have several large bottles. However, it is a particularly noxious substance, and has been reported to cause reproductive problems in fish that have been treated with it. I believe it is also considered a mutagenic substance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom