The heck?? What's protruding out of my angel??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just doing a routine check on my fish and noticed a red protrusion on one of my angels. He just ate ravenously and is behaving completely normal. I didn't notice this yesterday. I'm sorry for the poor pics but he won't be still long enough to get a good one. It's on his belly.

image-3561179291.jpg

image-1189454104.jpg

image-3577221810.jpg

It appears to be a rectal prolapse which is caused by straining attempting to pass feces(constipation), eggs, or internal parasites but I'm sorry to say there is no cure for this condition. I'd personally recommend euthanizing the fish at this time.

Last edited:
im afraid hes right. any internal parasite meds are always good to have on hand. paraguard made by seachem and metronidazole is also a good one. go to seachem.com and look at the meds they have. your angel will live like this for a while but will eventualy die.i lost a beautiful female koi to this also. i no theres a bunch of people on here that will argue with me but i put both internal and external paracite med in my tanks monthly as a control method . and i have never had a problem since starting this. i now have 8 beautiful breeding pair and they are healthy as can be.

im afraid hes right. any internal parasite meds are always good to have on hand. paraguard made by seachem and metronidazole is also a good one. go to seachem.com and look at the meds they have. your angel will live like this for a while but will eventualy die.i lost a beautiful female koi to this also. i no theres a bunch of people on here that will argue with me but i put both internal and external paracite med in my tanks monthly as a control method . and i have never had a problem since starting this. i now have 8 beautiful breeding pair and they are healthy as can be.

Thank you. I will check out the seachem link and find out more about treating. It may be too late for this one but perhaps I can still save the remaining ones.

yes .and your welcome. i have seen it retract in some fish but angels are so skinny it hard to do it. butttt it has happened so dont guive up.

I dosed API General Cure last night. I'll do the second dose 48 hrs later. Should I do another round after this is finished? Is there another medication I should try?

well eventually u will see a white fuzzy fungus growing on the protrusion . i use paraguard made by seachem. um as far as another dose it just depends on how the healing process is going. have you reserched angelfish prolapse cures on google

well eventually u will see a white fuzzy fungus growing on the protrusion . i use paraguard made by seachem. um as far as another dose it just depends on how the healing process is going. have you reserched angelfish prolapse cures on google

Will do. Oddly enough the thing is gone and I haven't seen it since I posted the other night.

ok good .do not let her breed. and feed her crushed peas but take the shell off. also still treat for paracite. the peas will help keep her from stressing to poop

ok good .do not let her breed. and feed her crushed peas but take the shell off. also still treat for paracite. the peas will help keep her from stressing to poop

I'll do that when I get home. She still seems so healthy. I feed beef heart 2 or 3 times a week. Could that be part if the problem? They also get mysis and brine shrimp, NLS flakes and Repashy. I never feed bloodworms. I'd like to add some live food to their diet.

i have a another 10 gallon tank that i breed red cherry shrimp in to feed mine.well i would cut back on the beef heart 1-2 times a week. i use blood worms to condition mine for breeding . its a good source of protein. the shrimp should only be a snack. i have found that my feeding schedule works well. flakes in the morning-- snacks at noon-- protein at night. the reason i do it this was is the angels are less active at night and the protein is absorbed better for energy for the next days activeness. but mine realy love the red cherry shrimp. i have herd of some people breeding guppys and other small fish to use the fry as food also.

i have a another 10 gallon tank that i breed red cherry shrimp in to feed mine.well i would cut back on the beef heart 1-2 times a week. i use blood worms to condition mine for breeding . its a good source of protein. the shrimp should only be a snack. i have found that my feeding schedule works well. flakes in the morning-- snacks at noon-- protein at night. the reason i do it this was is the angels are less active at night and the protein is absorbed better for energy for the next days activeness. but mine realy love the red cherry shrimp. i have herd of some people breeding guppys and other small fish to use the fry as food also.

That's a good idea, I could use one of my classroom tanks to breed guppies. I'm not interested in breeding the angels, but should I still supplement with bloodworms? My lfs owner has advised me to avoid them because they cause bloat. I know lots of people feed them though.

well as with any food bloat is possible. proper feeding and amounts and times is very important . i actually pick one day a week and i do not feed my adult fish on that day. also the peas will help the digestive track to help prevent bloat. and no you don't have to supplement with them its a breeding thing i do otherwise the blood worms are gust a snack like shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom