The loss of a friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishGuy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It is with great regret that I announce the passing of a friend. Gouram-butt was the first fish I ever picked out for my aquarium. He passed while I was at work today. He got his name from the fact that when I first got him, he would hide in my artificial caves and never come out if I was within 20 feet of the tank. As far as I was concerned, he was acting like a butt-head. All I wanted to do was get a good look at him. Well...over the months he became more accustomed to me and eventually became very comfortable with me. I was on the verge of getting him to take food out of my hand when he started getting sick about a couple weeks ago.

At first it was looked like he was eating well. A little too well even so I cut back his feeding to every other day. That didn't help. He didn't get any worse for a few days so I thought that might have been it. then about a week ago his sides started getting bigger. I believe he was constipated. I looked through the forums and all I could find was people saying to feed him nothing but pea shells. He wouldn't eat them at all. And he kept getting bigger. Yesterday he started having serious trouble swimming. He would just sit at the bottom of the tank and every once in a while he would struggle to swim to the surface.

When I came home tonight he was passed. He was so full inside that his body wouldn't even float. I had to get him out from the back corner of my tank to remove him from the tank.

I never thought that I would become attached to a fish, but I did. I am taking a few days off from the forums and everything to just sit back for a bit. I'll see you all in a bit.

Pea shells? You're supposed to DE-shell the pea and feed the pea to your fish. I hope you weren't trying to feed the shell itself. :?

Thank you everyone for your concern....It is greatly appreciated......I am getting over it by shopping for just the right addition to my tank...

oh and surgeon....that was a mis-type.....I meant shelled peas....not pea shells

Back
Top Bottom