The tank is going green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MugWar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off I have two tanks a 64g and a 77g and they both get the same treatment, (ie same water for water changes, same conditions). A friend sprung a leak in her tank (about 2 weeks ago) so I rescued 2 snails, a hand full of mollies, and a pleco, one snail went into the 77 and the rest into the 64, about a week after that the water in the 77 started turning green. I did a 40% water change (on both tanks) and and cleaned the mechanical filter last, that helped for a day yesterday I did a 80% changed and the water is truning green again already. But there is nothing wrong with the 64g it hasn't changed. The 77 has a fluval 405 the tank has been running for 2 months, is stocked with 1 blood parrot 3", 2 catfish 1.5", CAE 4.5", 1 pleco 5", 1 brisle nose pleco 1.5", 2 red gromies 2", 1 dwarf gromie 2.5", 15 guppies new born to 2.5".

If anyone has any advice, as to why only the one tank is going green, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

The tank doesn't get sunlight, as for the bulbs they are only 2 or 3 months old. What would be the best way to fix it, assuming it is algae?

The UV lights would kill off the algae, correct? What would the carbon do? (I am running carbon right now anyway)

MugWar said:
The UV lights would kill off the algae, correct? What would the carbon do? (I am running carbon right now anyway)

Uv lights kill free floating algae. Carbon helps water clear up, if its done right. Carbon only lasts a few days before it starts releasing everything it has removed back into the water. So it needs changed every few days. The thing is you really shouldn't need a uv light something has to be causing it. Not sure what it is since it doesn't get sun light and the bulbs are kinda new. How does the water test? And what test kit are you using?

you can also try a polishing filter or a phosphate filter pad. Here are the causes of green water. Hope this helps :)
  • Green water is a no brainer - it's due to algae growth. Getting rid of it is the hard part. If you know the cause it's easier to cure. Here are the primary causes of green water.
  • Too Much Light - The most obvious cause, and easiest one to cure, is too much light. Placing the aquarium in direct sunlight, or leaving the lights on too long will result in algae growth. Reduce the amount of time the lights are on, and move the aquarium to a location out of direct sunlight.
  • Excess Nutrients - Nutrients such as phosphates and nitrates also support the algae growth, and must also be reduced to successfully battle algae. A water change will give some immediate relief, but probably won't resolve the problem completely. It's important to deal with phosphates and nitrates at their source to rid yourself of them.
  • Phosphates - Phosphates come from two sources - decaying matter such as fish food, and from the water source itself. Testing your tap water for phosphates will let you know if you have a problem with your water source. If your water naturally has a high level of phosphate, you will need to use RO water, or a phosphate remover to treat the water. Reducing the amount of food you give your fish, and changing to a brand that is lower in.
  • Nitrates - Nitrates naturally rise in the aquarium over time, as a byproduct of fish wastes. The only way to remove them is to perform a water change. Make sure your filter is kept clean, and is adequate for your tank size. Also, make sure you have not overstocked your aquarium, or you will constantly battle rising nitrate levels.

Perfect that gives me a place to start. The biggest concern was that it was only happening to the one tank. But now I know where to go. Thanks for the help Andy :D

MugWar said:
Perfect that gives me a place to start. The biggest concern was that it was only happening to the one tank. But now I know where to go. Thanks for the help Andy :D

No problem I hope you find the cause :)

Back
Top Bottom